Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Frustrations after latest Feb. Windows 10 update.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paperisking

paperisking

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

Have had a new laptop with Windows 10 for close to a year. Also had a standalone with Vista, which still worked more or less, so keep switching back and forth, depending on what my purpose was.

Found last fall that the Windows 10 update really screwed up a lot of my functions on the laptop. By then the Vista died, so it was Windows 10 or nothing. Went to internet for solutions, there were lots of questions and answers posted, one was to change the settings for the parameters for updates, and I followed that advice.

Since then, I have been warned mutiple times that they were not able to upload updates, but apart from that, all was well till last week. I notice the tail end of an update when I turned the laptop on. Ever since I have a series of annoying issues.

Slow to turn on and  get to desk top

Slow to upload internet sites and slow to react.

Mouse stops to function, till I unplug and plug again. Switched USB drive, seems to be better.

Typing on keyboard does not always show a text on the screen. Has to be redone.

Mouse arrow is jittery.

Moving down the page, by any manner is either frozen or very very slow.

other laptop on our Wifi works fine, exact same equipment and settings. 

Looking for a solution to get back to a decent computer function. Sometimes having it off for the night seems to correct these problems, but this is not happening this week yet.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

If possible consider doing a clean install of Windows 10 after backing up you personal data and any program licenses.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

If a clean install gives you the same problems consider getting it fixed under warranty if less than a year old.

#3 paperisking

paperisking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

Thank you for your suggestion, it does beg the question, do I have to do a clean install every time there is an update? Or is there something I could change in my settings, to avoid the worst of these silly issues every time?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

If this computer was pre-installed with Windows 10 any recent upgrade should not have affected the computer. If this was an older computer that was pre-installed with a different OS and was an upgrade then it's possible an upgrade would bork something as Windows 10 is now a service and any upgrade could make some things not function correctly because according to Microsoft, Windows 10 is only supported as long as the OEM supports it. Expect two major upgrades per year. 

Note: Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacks current drivers, or is otherwise outside the original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) support period.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

What is outside the OEM's support period? Anything it wants it to be.

That is why I refuse to install Windows 10. With Windows 7 I know all my hardware and peripherals will work until end of support in 2020 and 2023 for Windows 8.1. After those dates I am moving away from Windows and going to linux as every program I need is available. I don't need Xbox, Candy Crush, or Mixed Reality.

Reducing the size of the QA department and handing testing over to the developers hasn't helped either. I think that's why Microsoft initiated the "insider" program to catch bugs but obviously that hasn't always worked. Case in point: The latest debacle of USB ports getting borked on the last update which should have been caught by the insider program considering how big the bug is.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 February 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

Hi, you mention:-  " was to change the settings for the parameters for updates, and I followed that advice".

Could you please let us know what you have done in regards to this. It is possible to exert some control over updates, however it has to be done properly and does involve modifying the registry. It is also possible to uninstall the update that is causing you problems, do you have any other Anti Virus programs, apart from windows defender and windows defender firewall? 

#6 paperisking

paperisking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

To answer both replies, from JohnC and jenae. Thank you for taking the time to help

I did not modify the registry, only modified a simple setting regarding updates, I have to go back and find what I did and where 2 months ago to be more precise. What you say about Windows10 updates and the royal hassle they cause, is really truly well documented with any search on google that include the words ' problem Windows 10 updates'.

We are both retired and have a limited income, we bought mid range value laptops from Dell, which had this OS installed already of course. Changing it would have cost more. We had no idea what we were getting into, it was hard enough to switch and adjust from Vista and previous Windows versions which we managed to hang on to, even if they were no longer supported or serviced.

Our IP insists on McAfee as a security, again not our choice, it comes with the service. We do have a choice of the level of security we want. Hope these answers are appropriate. I am sure there are thousands if not millions in the same situation as we are, and Microsoft is creating a whole class of people who will despise them forever....

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

Hi, never heard of an ISP dictating what AV you can use, Is it possible to change ISP's? You will never have an enjoyable computing experience with crap like McAfee on your machine. At the very least try disabling it before downloading updates.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open.

At the prompt type:-

winver (press enter) write down the version details(in full) and post the details here.

In addition also at the cmd prompt, copy paste this cmd:-

wmic qfe > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) Please copy and paste the notepad output here.

#8 paperisking

paperisking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

Not at the moment, we are Bell Canada retirees and part of our benefits...?.... is a 33% cut rate on all our services, phone, TV and Internet. We would need to completely redo a package for ourselves, or research the best deals for each type of service. We are aware McAfee is crap, call it the anti virus that never finds any....lol.

We are not allowed to remove it, we tried that a few years ago. The updates download themselves. They never ask first. Unless it's the big one twice a year. I am the admin with our service. I dont need to set that up. This might sound odd but we are a mix of PC users from the 1980s to today, with some knowledge and basic understanding of what is supposed to work and happen. We were office workers so had office computers from the time they became available to today. 

Once retired we could not afford to keep upgrading every year to the latest thing. My laptop is working better today and no, I have not done anything except talk to you guys. I'm sure Microsoft got the news by now, their update was full of bugs, maybe correcting behind the scenes. Who knows?

Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users