Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop touchpad & any external usb input does not work!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ClearFocus

ClearFocus

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

I don't see a better subforum for this issue -- Mods, if it needs to be moved please do so.  Thanks.

Dell Inspiron 5000 Series about 2 to 3yrs old running Win10. Worked fine this morning. Then, after shutting it down for a bit and turning it back on, there is no arrow/pointer on the screen. The touchpad does not work. Any external usb device (i.e. mouse, keyboard, etc.) does not work.

Using the keyboard, I can see there were two unknown devices in Device Manager that had conflicts (yellow exclamation). I was able to download the bios update for this laptop and installed it with no change. I downloaded the touchpad driver, but unable to use keyboard/enter key to execute the "Install" button to complete the installation of the driver after many attempts.

Very difficult to look in Event Viewer at errors without ability to maximize window.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! As far as I can tell, that is the only issue. I don't see any updates there were installed in the past 24 hours either.

Edited to add: When plugging in any USB device, Windows does recognize it and sets it up. The mouse light comes on for a few seconds initially and goes away after a few seconds. USB flash drive does open in Explorer and I can browse the files. But, no keyboard or mouse input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

Boot into the Dell Diagnostics and run the tests and see if it can pick up on any hardware related issues.

#3 ClearFocus

ClearFocus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:18 PM

Found the problem .. uninstalled MS Update 1709.  See more here:  https://www.computerworld.com/article/3256218/microsoft-windows/buggy-win10-1709-cumulative-update-kb-4074588-redlining-bluescreening-borking-usb.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users