Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINRETOOLS and PBR Image low disk space warnings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 avcahill

avcahill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

My wife's computer is constantly popping up warnings that WINRETOOLS and PBR Image are low on disk space. WINRETOOLS shows 3.93 MB free of 749 MB and PBR Image shows 722 MB free of 10.3 GB.

I found a post on a Dell Support Forum from 2015 regarding the WINRETOOLS low disk space warning that suggested editing the registry to stop the warning pop-ups (https://tinyurl.com/ya3pxjs2). When I opened Registry Editor and navigated to the suggested line listed here (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer) I found that there is no Explorer listed under Policies.  I haven't been able to find any other information or solutions to these problems.  

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 3847 running Windows 10 Version 1709 OS Build 16299.192.

Any help with getting rid of the warnings or resizing the partitions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.  

Edited by avcahill, 21 February 2018 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

Was this an upgrade from a previous OS like Windows 7 or 8.1? Open Disk Management and provide a screenshot showing your hard drive partitions.

#3 avcahill

avcahill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

The computer had Windows 7 when purchased.   

Attached File  Disk_Management.jpg   144.14KB   1 downloads 

Attached File  This_PC.jpg   96.49KB   0 downloads 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:10 PM

What is strange is drive letters are assigned to the PBR and WinRE partitions but not letters are assigned in disk management. When you double click the WinRETools in Computer what dates are shown on the files/folders. Post an image.

Because you updated to Windows 10 do you ever intend to take the computer back to Windows 7?

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hi, I suspect you were looking in the wrong place for the registry mod, that key is there by default.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy ALL the text below (in red ) and then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window , the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" > 0 & notepad 0

This is perfectly safe, as it is only reading what is there, please post the notepad output here, inc any error message if you receive one.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

PBR Image shows 722 MB free of 10.3 GB.
The computer is a Dell Inspiron 3847 running Windows 10 Version 1709 OS Build 16299.192.
Any help with getting rid of the warnings or resizing the partitions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.  

I might be the only one who doesn't know this, but what is PBR?

Edited by cmptrgy, 23 February 2018 - 05:50 PM.

#7 avcahill

avcahill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

What is strange is drive letters are assigned to the PBR and WinRE partitions but not letters are assigned in disk management. When you double click the WinRETools in Computer what dates are shown on the files/folders. Post an image.

Because you updated to Windows 10 do you ever intend to take the computer back to Windows 7?

No, I don't intend to ever go back to Windows 7.

I have considered doing a Reset with a clean install of Windows 10 to get rid of the Dell software installed on the computer and hopefully to be rid of these 2 partitions as well. 

Screen shot links below:  

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/avcahill/WINRETOOLS%20Details_zps1ccssumu.jpg 

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss16/avcahill/PBR%20Image%20Details_zpsivexslbv.jpg  

#8 avcahill

avcahill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

Hi, I suspect you were looking in the wrong place for the registry mod, that key is there by default.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy ALL the text below (in red ) and then right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window , the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" > 0 & notepad 0

This is perfectly safe, as it is only reading what is there, please post the notepad output here, inc any error message if you receive one.

There was no Notepad output, just a blank Notepad window. In the Command Prompt window it says "ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value." 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,615 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

I would wait for jenae to reply but in the mean time open a command prompt and type the following commands.

diskpart     Opens the diskpart command prompt

list disk

select disk 0

list volume

Post a screenshot. If the drive letters for those partitions are unassigned I don't believe you would get those errors.

I believe your could delete both the PRB and 750MB partitions. After deleting them you could move/resize your C: partition after moving the 450MB partition. The 40MB partition is for Dell Diagnostics. That could also be deleted but this can be helpful because it lets you check your hardware at boot. You would need to do this with a Partition Manager like Partition Wizard and I would not do it unless your personal data was backed up to another device. One partition that is not normally shown in Disk Management it the MSR partition after the System Partition which in Windows 10 is 16MB but may be different on your disk because it was an upgrade. 

If you decide to delete the partitions I can provide the steps using Partition Wizard.

Just FYI a clean install of Windows 10 is always preferable to an upgraded system. The downside is you would need to reinstall all  your programs. BC has a guide for doing a clean install. Your disk is a GPT because of the EFI system partition and therefore you would need to use the diskpart convert GPT command shown in the guide.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:36 AM

Hi, I don't know why you would want these, I would follow JohnC's advice and be rid of them. If you want to simply remove the low disk warnings and millions of people use this(including me), open the attached .zip file it returns ldisk.reg, double click on this and agree to add to registry. Restart computer. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users