Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What even is the point of edge?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

Edge sucks. Plain and simple. It did when it first came out, it still does in it's latest iteration. Approximately 3 percent of Windows users use Edge.... That's beyond pathetic. So why does Microsoft even bother having engineers work on Edge? It seems like a waste of time, effort, and money. Those engineers are better off working on other parts of the OS. During first boot (OOBE), allow the user to choose Chrome or Firefox as their browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

I certainly can't disagree with your opinion of MS-Edge.   It was grossly not ready for prime time when Windows 10, and it, made its debut in July 2015 and not enough has changed since then to impress or entice me in any way.  I honestly don't know why MS doesn't just abandon an in-house/in-OS web browser.  It's clearly not been their strength for a very long time now.

My only use for Edge is when I need a "naked browser," that is, one with no add-ons of any sort, which happens once in a very great while.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

I certainly can't disagree with your opinion of MS-Edge.   It was grossly not ready for prime time when Windows 10, and it, made its debut in July 2015 and not enough has changed since then to impress or entice me in any way.  I honestly don't know why MS doesn't just abandon an in-house/in-OS web browser.  It's clearly not been their strength for a very long time now.

My only use for Edge is when I need a "naked browser," that is, one with no add-ons of any sort, which happens once in a very great while.  

You said it. Competing in a market where you're being absolutely obliterated is just bad business. Even IE 11 has a bigger market share than edge at 9 percent! (as of last year). I mention this on the feedback hub every once in a while, questioning why Microsoft is working on Edge and imploring them to give up and focus elsewhere. Doubt they'll listen. 

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

Wow you think M$ would have made a better browser by now. They should just have a built-in browser installer for the major browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Brave, etc). Although I don't have Windows 10 yet but I've heard every time you update Win 10 it sets Edge as the default browser, thats very anti consumer M$ should respect what browser you have as the default and not force Edge down your throat.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

Although I don't have Windows 10 yet but I've heard every time you update Win 10 it sets Edge as the default browser, thats very anti consumer M$ should respect what browser you have as the default and not force Edge down your throat.

Believe, generously, about 1% of the negative information of the sort recounted here with regard to Windows 10.   I have never had Edge as my default since resetting to Firefox or Chrome on every Windows 10 machine I own on the first day I own it.  I think it may have reset back once and that was at either the 1511 or 1607 feature update.    There have been howls of complaint about Windows 10 feature updates not retaining user choices, and for those of us who've been dealing with Win10 since its introduction it's clear that this is being addressed (as it should be - if you give the user a choice and they make it, even if you need to switch it to something else for the duration of applying an update, it's a simple matter to switch it back to the user choice as the last step of an update).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users