Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer BSOD won't reboot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BuddysDaD

BuddysDaD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Hi,all, I got the dreaded BSOD and now the computer won't do anything. However the led on the power button does light up. On the BSOD before it went away I saw something about a missing kernel. Computer is / was running Windows 10. Does anyone have a possible solution for this problem? The computer was originally running Windows 7 Pro. I do have an installation disc for windows 7 that includes the pro version. If I can't get the windows 10 version going again could I reinstall windows 7 pro and use the original product key for this computer? Sorry for all the questions but I am at a loss. Thank you all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

You could reinstall windows 7 and that's probably your best bet. Before you do that however, please give us specs on the computer. If it's a desktop, try removing the CMOS battery then putting it back in. This will reset your mobo to default settings and should allow you to boot successfully.

#3 null__

null__

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

If you upgraded Windows 10 while it was free, your 10 key should be in the Microsoft servers. Once the re-installation of 7 is done, you should be able to go to 10 for free.

#4 BuddysDaD

BuddysDaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

If I opt to install windows 7 can I do this without removing the hard drive and formatting. I guess what I am asking is can I install 7 by just inserting the disc?

#5 iancatalan

iancatalan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

If I opt to install windows 7 can I do this without removing the hard drive and formatting. I guess what I am asking is can I install 7 by just inserting the disc?

if you have a partition or separate drive like Drive D, you can save your files in drive D and install your windows 7 in drive C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users