Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 lockups, power issue to peripherals, and video driver malfunctions.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Painezor

Painezor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

Hello there, frustrated googler here with some issues which may or may not be linked together. I'll start in chronological order.

For around a year now I've been having issues with my mouse and keyboard both randomly deciding to disconnect while playing games. The disconnections occur separately, and the keyboard can disconnect while any peripherals plugged into the keyboard stay connected, at which point I'm met with a "USB Device has malfunctioned" error in the bottom right of the screen. These have been occuring less frequently than they used to. The same issue happens with my mouse, but it'll reconnect frequently after a bit of wiggling around. The same occasionally happens with my internet connection dropping and me being greeted with "a network cable is unplugged" in the systray.

This problem is an inconvenience, but not quite as bad as the next issue.

A week ago, I was playing world of warships with a twitch stream running in the background, plus whatever else, and my computer video output froze, shortly followed by the audio output repeating the same frame of audio for a good 5 seconds, and then the computer attempted to restart itself. It failed. The computer then failed to start up multiple times, crashing on the "swirling dots" of the windows 10 load screen (right when the video drivers are supposed to kick in)

Automatic recovery failed, however I was able to get into the advanced recovery options and log in via safeboot with networking using 

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

My next plan of attack was running sfc /scannow (No integrity violations), memtest on startup (no problems reported), chkdsk (completed successfully) and

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

which reported no component store corruption.

However I was still unable to boot into normal mode, until I ran DDU (display driver uninstaller) which uninstalled my drivers and allowed me to log into my machine happily, and I was then able to reinstall my video drivers.

Everything seemed ok, if not a little panicky.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, and I had the same issue occur while playing terraria. Once again running DDU and reinstalling the drivers got me back into windows.

Fast forward to this morning, and I woke my PC from standby mode with only chrome and speccy running, and my peripherals both died (the lights on my keyboard and mouse both turned off) while the monitor had clearly frozen as well (a chrome tab was mid-closing, so the tab at the top was half of it's normal size)

These crashes are getting scarily frequent and I need to solve this problem now before the problems get worse, and any help would be massively appreciated. Please note I did NOT recieve a BSOD during these issues, however I have followed the BSOD posting instructions in case they are of help in some way...

Attached the sysnative file collection zip, and here's a link to my speccy output http://speccy.piriform.com/results/t0HFHHDVfXkYFJDRn1eyBcc

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iancatalan

iancatalan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Did you try to format your computer? 

#3 Painezor

Painezor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

Kind of, I tried using the "reset this PC" option when I was in the advanced recovery mode but it failed, what do you believe a reformat would accomplish, as I'm hesitant to do it since the computer is working "fine" currently aside from the 3 hiccups which have occurred? Are there other options before resorting to a reformat.

#4 Painezor

Painezor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

Update: Computer had a full lockup just now, again as I was playing world of warships with a youtube stream in the background.

The youtube stream kept playing (after a brief audio hiccup) but the game kept looping the audio file of a torpedo warning and the screen was completely black.

Had to restart the computer, but, I was able to boot straight into normal mode without any bcdedit bleepery?

Do you think a reformat of my SSD may be the best course of action?

Edit: Playing another game, hearing the audio stutters but the computer hasn't locked.

GFX card temp is under 50 C, Storage CPU and Mobo hovering around 30C.

Edit 2: Random lockup with audio stutter upon attempting to launch the xbox app, no games running, temperatures were all low.

Edited by Painezor, 22 February 2018 - 10:14 AM.

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

Your SSD is failing. I would suggest getting a new one then replacing your files a few at a time in case they might be corrupted. It's a lot easier to find the bad one than if you have thousands of files on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users