Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to get Windows 7 installation DVD?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aspfun

aspfun

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

My Dell laptop crashed, so I deleted partions and reformat HD.

I have product key and want to reinstall Win7 but OS is preinstalled.

I called Dell and created a recover USB but got an error said that "product key is not entitled or has been modified".

Where can I get Win7 installation DVD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

What version of the product key do you have? If it is a Dell OEM key, you'll need to contact Dell to get a recovery disk, or tell Dell your installation does not verify authenticity

Microsoft will give you a download of Windows 7 if you have a builders oem key or a retail key, but not an OEM COA key (a key from Dell)

Edited by Joe C, 21 February 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#3 aspfun

aspfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:39 AM

Thank you.

My version is Home Premium.

I don't know what kind key it is. It is at back of laptop.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

Did you use your Service Tag per the below page? Dell install media should use a SLP key that is used with the SLIC table in BIOS for pre-activiation. 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln299044/how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-windows-recovery-image?lang=en

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

Hi,

Try to activate using the script https://github.com/mgiljum/Windows7-OEM-Activator/releases

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

Those that have mistakenly not used their recovery partition pay a price trying to get their machines running properly. By all means get the OS from Dell you machine will run as new!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 aspfun

aspfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

Yes, I used Service Tag to created a recovery USB but got an error as below.

Protection Error:

The key that you are using is either not entitled for this PC or has been modified. Please recreate the key and use it for the designated PC

This error not telling true. I did not modify key and I do install at the same laptop.

In fact, what I need is a installtion disk.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

From what I have read the USB recovery tool is only available for Windows 7 Pro. There is a workaround but it requires you to find a service tag of a Dell computer with a Windows 7 Pro Install. 

There was a tool called Windows iso downloader that allowed one to download Windows 7 Home but Microsoft pulled all the downloads for Windows 7 awhile ago. 

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

Microsoft still has a download web page but it only works for builder oem and retail keys. Not for OEM COA keys, Dell might (if your lucky) sell you a re-install disk for around $30. or so if they have one available. There are other way's but it gets into a grey area and I'm not sure if this forum allows those links for a program to use the SLIC key already on your pc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users