Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdChoices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted Today, 03:14 AM

is AdChoices a parasite or malware?  seems to bring in advertising I would rather not see.

whether it is or not, how does one get rid of it?

SAILOR0316

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted Today, 06:10 AM

See info at Wikipedia as to what AdChoices is.

AdChoices - Wikipedia

Look in your list of installed programs...if AdChoices is there you can uninstall it.

Do you have an ad blocker installed? If not, I suggest using Adblock Plus.

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store   Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox   Adblock Plus for IE   Adblock Plus for Edge browser

You can block the third party cookies from installing in your browsers. Those are the ad and tracking cookies.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

Once you have blocked those cookies from installing you can remove the ones presently installed by using CCleaner.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted Today, 08:21 AM

You say you are in Houston, Texas but the time given is Eastern Standard Time. Is your computer time wrong or what? Just curious....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 06:27 PM

Thanks to BC Advisor for the reply.  I'm sure it will take me a little bit to go through everything you have suggested.  In the meantime, thanks again for taking time

And yes I am in Houston, time is presently Central Standard time and I likewise wondered why there was an hour difference in time between the time shown as when I posted my question and the actual time in Houston.  I don't know the inner workings of how or where BC gets it time stamp, but both my computer and phone register CST.  Someone may have to check how or where BC gets theirs, but again my computer and phone agree and I imagine both get updated all the time

SAILOR0316

#5 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 06:41 PM

Again, to BC Advisor:  Have read much of the Wikipedia article and have installed Adblock Plus (for Firefox).  Now have to wade through the cookie blocking stuff.  I especially don't like the cookies since I do research and part of that is on two projects that may be patentable.  None of anyone's business excepting for those I choose to include

Thanks again to all of you moderators that take your time to help us.  Would be more than happy to reciprocate, but you guys are already light years ahead of us.

SAILOR0316

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SAILOR0316