Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home-professional Profile Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mechanimal

Mechanimal

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

So a while back my system crashed, and I restored it with XP Professional instead of Home. But now some programs don't work (some still do), but what I really wanted to know is where I can find any traces of the older profile in the registry, because I believe my problem lies therein. Thanks for any who can help, and if there's any more information needed, just say. Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

I believe that you really need to reinstall XP Home.
There are too many differences between XP Home and XP Pro to fix it with a few registry edits.

#3 Mechanimal

Mechanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

Eh, that's what I was afraid of. I think when I get some time I'll just format, backing up all my school stuff, and then put on XP Pro from scratch. Thanks.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

Xp Pro is much better than XP Home, but do you have an installation version of XP Pro with its unique 25 digit key number that has never been used to install and activate XP Pro on any other computer?

If it has ever been used on any other computer it will not activate successfully and will shut down in 30 days if the activation is not done successfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users