Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Buy This?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MatreX

MatreX

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 2350, running Windows XP Home.

My graphics card is integrated and it sucks. Christmas is comming and I want to ask my mom if she can get me a new graphics card but first i want to know if I will be able to use it.
I know I did'nt porvide much information, but... I don't know much about my computer. =/

Any card from this list will do, unless its TO expensive. Lol.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.g...ind&ic=20_0

Thanks for your help.
I LOVE this website XD

P.S. Video Card, Graphics Card... I don't know what to call it, Lol.

Edit: Found this picture of my PCI slots.
Posted Image
Exept the top two are free not the bottom two, Lol.
From: http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Dimension_235...7-20717757.html

Edited by MatreX, 01 October 2006 - 06:00 PM.

Current Sig:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

You do not have an AGP slot. So forget about that. You do not have a PCI-e slot, so forget about that also. The only card that you can get is a PCI video card, and it's not very powerful. I believe the most powerful one out is the nVidia Geforce FX5500, and that is about 3-4 years old, if not older. I would truly suggest in lookng for a new computer.

To look for a PCI video card that is not very expensive, I'd suggest looking at Newegg

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

A friend of mine tried to install a new graphics card on his Dell (don't remember exactly what model) awhile back and it didn't work at all. In fact, the computer wouldn't boot up past the bios until he put the original card back in..
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

What games do you plan to be playing, or what do you want to do with your computer?

Wiht only PCI slots, your choices of video cards is very limited, you won't be able to play any new games.

Oh, and just because it's a Dell, don't automaticly thing that, there's a number of reasons why it wouldn't boot up.

Edited by protozero, 01 October 2006 - 08:03 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

If it was an AGP, you have to look at the slot version and the GPU version. If the slot is AGP rev 1 or 2, then an AGP rev 3 card wont work.

AGP rev 1: AGP 1x/2x (will kill itself in a 4x/8x slot)
AGP rev 2: AGP 2x/4x
AGP rev 3: AGP 4x/8x (will not work in AGP 1x/2x slots)

Edited by legoman786, 01 October 2006 - 10:32 PM.

- Rick Cook

#6 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

Well, I think that any card would be much better than the integrated graphics. I had a friend who had the same problem...he just got a nvidia geforce 5200 (which is an ok card) and it really boosted his system.

As far as I know, I the best pci cards availible are ati's radeon 9250 (what you were looking at) and nvidia's.

Nvidia has gone a lot further with pci cards and I think they made it up to the geforce 6100 or 6200(really good cards). But you wouldnt find that at Walmart.

#7 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

man, I stand corrected. I just checked newegg.com and there are some really good pci cards.
here is the nvidia 6200-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139010

and probably the best pci card ever made. I didnt think this even existed for pci... the radeon x1300...wow - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814129062

If you can spent a little more money, the x1300 is the best pci card that I could find, and If you cant spend money, any updated ati or nvidia card would probably be a pretty good upgrade from onboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users