Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF print defaults to Fax in Print window - can't be changed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:19 PM

I am working on my sisters Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It has Avast Free Antivirus and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2018.011.20035. She has a HP Photosmart C6300 printer that is installed on her home wi-fi. This is check marked as her default printer in Devices and Printers.

When she attempts to print a PDF, the FAX shows up as her Printer choice in the Print window. The drop down in the Printer box shows all of her printers that you would see in the Devices and Printers. If you select the C6300 it does not take it as your choice. Fax stays as the choice. I had this problem a couple years ago at her place and thought I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe.

I am able to print a test page from the Printer Properties when I look at them in Devices and Printers. I am able to print a document through a MS Word Trial copy that is on her laptop. The problems seems to be just when I attempt to print a PDF.

I worked on it for a couple hours yesterday at her house and could not figure out how to fix it. I researched on the internet but did not come up with a solution. Most said to make sure Fax was not the default. I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe. I tried disabling and enabling the printer. I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer. But I still had the problem. One thing I did notice in Device Manager the Imaging Devices entry is no longer there. That is where I uninstalled the printer from but added it back in using the Devices and Printers window.

I brought the laptop back to my house and started to work on it this morning, thinking I would have the same trouble here. I went to print the pdf and the default C6300 was the choice in the Printer block in the Print window. I fully expected Fax to be there. The drop down still had the other three printer entries that I would find in Devices and Printers. I clicked Print and it loaded the pdf to the print queue. I would expect it would have printed if the printer was here.

So I am stumped as to what to try next. I appreciate any help you can give me. I posted to this forum because I thought it was an Adobe issue but now I am not so sure. Feel free to move the case if necessary.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

One thing you could do to at least test if it's Adobe related or not is to install Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Viewer to see if it behaves any differently.

I like it much better than Adobe Reader DC, but even if that's not the case for you it will help you to make another diagnostic step.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

I did install PDF-XChange Viewer.  It worked on the laptop here.  So I took the laptop back to my sister's house.  It worked there too.

So I tried Adobe Acrobat and that worked too.  I'm not sure why it is working.  I would appreciate your thoughts on that.  Mine are it was disconnected and reconnected  from/to  her  network.  I don't remember if I tried shutting down her laptop and powering it up again.  I know I didn't disconnect and reconnect it to the network.  I'll try that next time if it ever happens again.  

I did leave it using PDF-XChange Viewer since it was working.  

​Anyway thanks for your help.  

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

To be perfectly honest there are events such as this one which defy explanation, at least for me.   I won't even venture a SWAG as that's precisely what it would be!

I'm glad to hear that things have resolved themselves as mysteriously as the original problem had arisen.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users