Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What is your business set up?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rbv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Hi so i work in a smallish business which is expanding. We currently have around 15-20 Windows Desktop PC's running windows 10. We have some RackServers as well which are stored externally. i was just wondering if anyone else has around the same size of business what config you have and what your set-up is like? Things like your internet connection, machine specs (laptop/desktop), server spec(physical or cloud) etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2018 - 05:14 PM.
Moved from System Building to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You can't get an apples to apples comparison, even if the companies are the same size.  Computer specifications will depend on the type of users you have.

I work for a global company and there are basically four standard machines: standard laptop, engineering laptops, standard desktop, engineering desktop.  I say engineering because that's normally who would get that type of machine, for CAD programs.  However I have people who work with databases who need the more powerful machines to run their queries.

So, you need to make a determination of what types of machines your users need.  Try to minimize the number of machines you authorize for the environment.  If people aren't allowed, or able, to work remotely go with desktops to save money.

In business you buy machines, you don't build.  Both HP and Dell business lines have next day on site support for hardware failures, accidental damage is extra.  This allows you to standardize your environment.  The fewer variables you have the better life is.

Network printers ONLY.  Most network printers can be configured with a secure print option where you have to put in a code to get your print job.  That's for the user who says I need a personal printer because I print confidential information.  Standardize your printers also, the fewer supplies you need to stock, the better.

Edited by Kilroy, 20 February 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#3 mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

I have seen the corporate world and how they have faced the upscaling of their systems from terminals and mainframe controllers for IBM 3270 systems to standalone units with local servers from a provided equipment list supported by corporate IT.  Much was changed with Dell and Compaq providing onsite service while we served that capacity as a contractor.  Upon departure     from the corporations serving the corporations, I retained many clients and  their un-supported gear. Servers can be as simple as a single unit with a large hard drive or a double case with eight drives.  Older units can still be found with SCSI interface and multiple optical drives as servers.  I encouraged each co-worker to establish their own servers at home as I paid for their cable internet and we all have access to our dispatch system for call information.  Six field engineers covering 9 western states doing a cross section of work for clients serviced over 45 years in the field.  The equipment list for large businesses needs to be defined and adhered to.  I have even had to go as far as placing "warranty void if broken" stickers because the users were swapping parts and even stealing memory and video cards.  One unit wasn't even the correct hardware in the case, it had all been replaced with some junk gear.  Shopping for locations and availability of services will yield a central location or a nearby space for close proximity for work or home.  Or workers units are linked up with what ever messenger or media of choice and we all know each preference.  Communication is the least of the worries.  Parts, spares and tools.  Specialized tools and disposables become important with the newer units but most adhere to the basic designs and placements.  Manufacurer provided service during warranty periods are a life saver if handled properly.  And don't forget "whole unit spares" for swaps and "hot jobs".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users