Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI Mainboard returns a b2 error when gpu is installed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BentPin

BentPin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Hello!

I've currently got a problem with my gpu (which I think is dead, but I'm not sure).

System Specs:

CPU: i7-4790K

GPU: GeForce Gtx 970 Palit Jetstream

Mainboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 (BIOS v.1.8)

Ram: 2x DDR3 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP

PSU: BeQuiet! 500w

This build is 3-4 years old.

This is what happened:

Yesterday I was playing a game, when suddenly both monitors (connections: one DVI, the other mini-DP) turned black and both returned a "no signal" notification, I could still hear the sound of the game and thought I better just restart the computer.

When trying to restart, I heard 5 beeps going like -- - --, space representing pauses inbetween. I then looked at the error code on the MB and it says "b2".

I then googled a bit and apparently it's the gpu making problems. So I opened the computer, unscrewed and removed the gpu and tried to run the computer with the onboard gpu, which works fine, no error codes (the games however are unplayable).

I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers/programs, plugged the gpu in again but same error code. I also cleaned the inside of my computer a little bit with air (it wasn't too bad), carefully cleaned the gpu with a cotton swab and took out both ram and put them back in. I mounted the card on the other PCI-E slot and I switched the VGA plugs, the computer is still beeping when I turn it on - no signal. The fan on the graphics card does not spin either. After starting up (with only the onboard gpu), I also get the "Display driver failed to start" error, which is no surprise I suppose.

Is it more likely that my graphics card just gave up on me or could it be a Mainboard or PSU issue? Or is there any chance that I could fix this with a BIOS update?

Edited by BentPin, 20 February 2018 - 12:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

i would thinks it's your gpu then.  if it works great with onboard video

Edited by mightywiz, 20 February 2018 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users