Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My two major gripes with Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

Overall I love Windows 10. I think it's the best OS Microsoft has ever released. If you want to know why I think that I can elaborate but I wanted to discuss some quirks I have with the OS.

1. The troubleshooters are absolute garbage. Yes they often fix the issues they're designed to fix but all too often they fail. In today's day of AI, machine learning, etc. I can't fathom why Windows can't have great troubleshooters. Is it simply that the OS engineers don't want to put in the effort to improving the troubleshooters?

2. Cortana is utterly useless. Not a HUGE deal as it doesn't negatively impact my day to day use but AI assistants could be a huge boon in consumer computing. I feel like cortana has a lot of potential but fails to achieve it. She doesn't make recommendations and she doesn't extract package or flight data. 

Aside from that, I'm happy. I also like the insider program (though it could stand to be better).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

OK

#3 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

Thoughts? Response? Typing ok is purposeless.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

Your post wasn't a request for input, merely a statement of your thoughts - so I acknowledged it as such. But if you want some additional input here's mine: it's an Operating System. I don't get too hung up on OS's. Their primary function is to provide an interface between the user and the hardware, allowing the user to make the best possible use of that hardware. Windows 10 does that just fine. So did W8, W7, Vista (despite its unpopularity) and XP. Microsoft adds additional features to each new release to make them more utile and, hopefully, user friendly --- but in the end if it performs its primary function I'm fine with it. If some of the pretty bells and whistles are less than outstanding, so be it.

Candidly, I've never used either the troubleshooters or Cortana on any of my W10 systems.

Edited by Allan, 20 February 2018 - 10:03 AM.

#5 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

Alrighty then.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

Allan,

I had the same reaction you did.  jarlmaster47 made a statement of personal preference and I had no reaction to it other than to think, "Different strokes for different folks."

I think the only troubleshooter I ever use, and extremely infrequently at that, is the Network troubleshooter and it seems to work just fine.   I have never had any use for anyone's "Personal Digital Assistant" (Siri, Cortana, Alexa, Google Home) and, in the case of my Windows 10 machines, neutered Cortana back to being regular Windows Search using the settings that had been available to accomplish this in the earlier releases of Windows 10 (I think 1511 was the last one to have all of them, but it might have been 1607).  Those have carried along into 1703 and 1709 and I expect will continue to be carried along into 1803 in the coming weeks.

I, like you, also look at all OSes as a basic tool.  While I like certain ones more than others they're not something I obsess over.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

so you only have 2 minor issues that you do not like out of literally thousands....that is a very small percentage so microsoft are doing very well for you

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

Brian,

Not to hijack the thread or create a side conversation, but if you've never tried "Everything" as a replacement for the Windows Search Engine I suggest you might want to. It allows me to disable the Windows Search Service (which interferes significantly with my file manager Directory Opus) and the search returns are instantaneous: https://www.voidtools.com/

#9 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

so you only have 2 minor issues that you do not like out of literally thousands....that is a very small percentage so microsoft are doing very well for you

Indeed. They are gripes but in the grand scheme of things, they're pretty minor. Hence why I'm impressed with Windows 10. I was just putting in my thoughts and seeing how others felt. I find it interesting that people just view an OS as a tool and don't particularly care about it. I think the OS is THE most important part of any computer. It's the interface for everything you do. If drivers are subpar, or it has optimization issues, it ruins your computing experience. That's how I see it at least.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

To whatever extent possible, drivers (at least for MAJOR hardware devices) should be obtained from either the specific hardware manufacturer or, in the case of laptops, the laptop manufacturer. The drivers included with the OS are, for the most part, not replacements for those. And as for "optimization", not sure what you're referring to.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:35 AM

I guess it depends on one's personal perspective.

If you ignore the pre-GUI OS interfaces, and I am, there has not been a single GUI OS that I cannot use, and use with relative ease.  I will admit that I dislike OSX pretty intensely, but that's because "the Apple Way" of doing virtually anything is most often counterintuitive to those of us accustomed to Windows or Linux.

Thus, because the OSes I use (or used) all the way from Windows 3.1 through Windows 10 [and I used Windows ME and Windows Vista] have all been more than adequate for the purposes I needed them for, I'm perfectly happy with them.   I have some limited Linux Mint experience, too, and the same applies there.

Once "adequate tool for the task" level is reached, I don't have many strong feelings one way or another, at least once I acquaint myself with a given ecosystem enough to feel comfortable using it.

Edited by britechguy, 20 February 2018 - 10:37 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

To whatever extent possible, drivers (at least for MAJOR hardware devices) should be obtained from either the specific hardware manufacturer or, in the case of laptops, the laptop manufacturer. The drivers included with the OS are, for the most part, not replacements for those. And as for "optimization", not sure what you're referring to.

True. But the manufacturer drivers need to work well with the OS. By optimization I mean power management (critical for laptops obviously), boot time, resource management, etc. All the little things the OS does in the background. 

I guess it depends on one's personal perspective.

If you ignore the pre-GUI OS interfaces, and I am, there has not been a single GUI OS that I cannot use, and use with relative ease.  I will admit that I dislike OSX pretty intensely, but that's because "the Apple Way" of doing virtually anything is most often counterintuitive to those of us accustomed to Windows or Linux.

Thus, because the OSes I use (or used) all the way from Windows 3.1 through Windows 10 [and I used Windows ME and Windows Vista] have all been more than adequate for the purposes I needed them for, I'm perfectly happy with them.   I have some limited Linux Mint experience, too, and the same applies there.

Once "adequate tool for the task" level is reached, I don't have many strong feelings one way or another, at least once I acquaint myself with a given ecosystem enough to feel comfortable using it.

Totally fair. I can understand that and I agree that every GUI OS has been usable and at the very minimum, adequate. My mentality is that everything can always be better so why settle for adequate. Innovate, add functionality, squeeze out better battery life, and so on. I'm a veterinarian and I am always looking at ways to improve on an existing technique or technology. Yeah pulling a tooth with pliers is adequate, but it could be much easier. The same goes with an OS. 

Edited by jarlmaster47, 20 February 2018 - 10:54 AM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

jarlmaster47,

While I get what you're saying, and agree as far as various "under the hood" things that could be done to make things a wee bit better, those tend to happen on a continual basis, and never more than for Windows 10.

Back to the "adequate" thing I'll make it clear:  Every Windows since Windows 7 has been way, way more than adequate for any purpose I can think of for a home or business user.  I think that Windows 8/8.1 were a disaster from the user interface perspective because Microsoft made the assumption that everyone would be using touch-enabled devices.  You can tell that just from the way the UI was designed, and that was a fatally flawed assumption.  It was also a tectonic shift away from how a great many things "had always been done" that just pulled the proverbial rug out from under those of us who had been using Windows for decades.  It was still adequate, but I never adopted it because it made life significantly more difficult on several fronts.   Windows 10 is, in my opinion, a very good wedding of all the things that had been good and that I liked in the UI prior to Windows 8 along with adopting the things that were good about Windows 8.  The only thing I hate, hate, hate (but have adjusted to - and it's certainly not limited to Microsoft) is the god-awful UI trend toward "flat look."  Aero was far, far better in terms of visual presentation and there's already been research that shows that individuals navigate flat look UIs at a significantly slower pace than those that have dimensionality to the presentation of buttons and other controls.  I work with individuals who are visually impaired, too, and you can see this issue writ large when someone is relying on residual vision and hunting for something.  The classic "Red close X" at the upper right corner of a window is no longer constantly red and the minimize/maximize/close controls really hide, and hide well, when they are not rendered as though they were actual 3D buttons on a 2D surface.

But, in the end, OSes are no different than any other consumer product.  What we have to choose from is what the various makers make.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:   An OS is not designed for you (where you is the generic you, not you personally).   OSes have to be Swiss Army knife type tools where a multitude of users in a multitude of contexts all have to be able to do what they need to do and many of them also have to have their wants/desires met on top of that.  This inherently imposes a number of competing constraints and the need for compromise to arrive at the end product.  No one is likely to ever be 100% happy with an OS as a result.

~ Brian Vogel

#14 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

I think that sums thing up nicely and I agree. I personally like the new design language overall (I think its very sleek and modern) but I can definitely see it being a point of contention and even an impedance for some. Many of Microsoft's home baked apps are butt ugly. The feedback hub is a mess. The mail app is a joke. The microsoft store is trash. I also hate that stuff lol.  

#15 athman8

athman8

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:58 AM

My only complaint is Bluetooth reliability,but I'm also on insider builds and I know they have been working on that.|​Other than that, the OS is great. It always comes back to 3rd part app support...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users