Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is connected online, yet cannot browse websites or update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ThatWildWolfe

ThatWildWolfe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

Some time ago, I repartitioned my laptop, restoring it back to factory settings. I set up my laptop's WiFi settings to connect to my router's range extender. However, when I tried to use Internet Explorer, it fails to browse the internet and gives me a DNS error. In addition, my laptop is unable to perform any kind of task involving the internet, such as accessing Windows updates.

My other devices (such as my iPhone 5c) are able to browse the internet just fine with the same router and range extender. Chances are, the issue lies within the computer itself.

From there, I performed a number of tasks to get my internet working properly on my laptop, all to no avail.

• Unchecked the 'Automatically detect settings' in my LAN settings in the Internet Properties? Nothing.
  • Made sure to auto detect IP and DNS server address automatically in the TCP/IP properties? Nothing.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled my wireless card? Nothing.
  • Set my 'Preferred DNS Server' to 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS) and 4.2.2.4 (OpenDNS' DNS)? Nothing.
  • Uninstalled McAfee Antivirus pre-installed on the computer? Nothing.
  • Disabled Windows Firewall? Nothing.
  • Reset my TCP/IP stack (with 'netsh int reset reset.log' and 'netsh winsock reset catalog')? Nothing.
  • Disabled my router's security? Nothing.

Is there any other way to get my laptop back running online again? I'm at my wits end.

Here are my hardware & software specs below:

Specs:
Laptop: Toshiba M55-S135
Router: Netgear Router R6400 Firmware V1.0.1.36_1.0.25
Range Extender: Netgear AC750
Wireless Card: Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network

Also, here are my IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Server addresses I retrieved from the ipconfig /all command from the Command Prompt.

IP Address: 192.168.1.15
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1

If there is any other information you need, let me know. Thanks.

P.S.: It seems whenever I try to connect my laptop directly to my router's internet connection, it's unable to validate its network identity. I'm able to connect to the range extender's WiFi though.

Edited by ThatWildWolfe, 19 February 2018 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

When you right click the connection in the task what does it show?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ThatWildWolfe

ThatWildWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:33 PM

First off, thanks for responding to my post quickly. :)

Second, when I right click my internet connection on the taskbar, I get a menu with 'Disable', 'Status', 'Repair', 'View Available Networks,' 'Change Window Firewall Settings,' and 'Open Network Connections.'

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

"Open Network Connections" shows it is not connected, if you bypass the router and connect the cable direct does access the net?

#5 ThatWildWolfe

ThatWildWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

Actually, when I open Open Network Connections, it shows my wireless internet connection as connected.

As for connecting the laptop directly, I'm homestly anxious about taking that step as not only I'll have to not only move the laptop downstairs to the modem, but go through the work to plugging it in directly. In any case, I'll take that step tomorrow morning if that helps.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:59 PM

Sounds like to much work!

Look into this:

I had a DNS issue a long tome ago dumping the cache fixed it.  I have CCleaner checked to clear the cache, not sure if it is related but no issues in a long time.

#7 ThatWildWolfe

ThatWildWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:54 AM

A quick update:

-I did attempt to connect the laptop directly into my broadband. The good news was that my laptop reconigized my broadband connection and the lights by the wire jack lit up. The bad news? Internet Explorer ran very slowly in loading the pages, to the point they never loaded at all. The messages at the bottom of IE constantly said "Website found, Waiting For Reply." Yet, the webpages failed to load.

-I brought over three programs to my laptop: CCleaner, Revo Unistaller, and MalwareBytes.

-After installing CCleaner to my laptop, it gave me the following error message when I tried to run it:

"CCleaner.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetLogicalProcessorInformation could not be located in thr dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

-MalwareBytes failed to install because my laptop is running Windows XP Service Pack 2, and MalwareBytes requires Service Pack 3 or higher.

-I sucessfully installed Revo Unistaller and removed the pre-installed AOL applications on the laptop in the case they interfered with my internet connection. They were uninstalled sucessfully, yet my laptop still failed to connect. 

Edited by ThatWildWolfe, 23 February 2018 - 01:03 AM.

#8 ThatWildWolfe

ThatWildWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

Bump.

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:40 AM

CCleaner has a minimum system requirement now of xp sp3

#10 ThatWildWolfe

ThatWildWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

I'm aware of that opera, which is why I mentioned it in one of my earlier posts.

Even so, there shouldn't be a problem with malware as I just repartitioned my laptop back to factory settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users