Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Beep

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TASpencer1

TASpencer1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Acer Aspire Dektop. When in sleep mode, the system board emits a beep about once every second. Changed the system battery - did not fix. Research indicated it may be a bad RAM card or other card on the motherboard. There are only 2 cards on the board that I can see - one RAM card and a firewire IEEE 1394 (for hooking up an old mini-DV camcorder). I removed the firewire card and the beep continued.

Upon removing the single ram card, if I resart the computer, the board emits a long continuous beep and will not boot. I transferred the RAM card to the other slot and the beep is still there. Any suggestions? Also, why the continuous beep? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:55 AM

TASpencer1,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

We're glad that you chose us and are more than happy to assist you! :thumbup2:

However, in order to do so, we need a bit more information, unfortunately since the system won't boot, you cannot provide a Speccy snapshot, which could provide a lot more details about the computer. So with that in mind, can you provide us with additional information so that we can lookup your model. 

What we need is: 

Exact model (to include sub-model if applicable) of your computer. Not the serial number, model only and all numbers, letters, any dashes (just as shown on computer. 

The CPU it has, if known. 

A big plus, if known, a link to the OEM's specs for the computer. 

When did the issue begin? 

Finally, although opinions vary, it's not good to allow the computer to sleep for extended periods, Hibernation is better, as long as there's no SSD installed. Sleep will eventually wear out RAM, have seen it on this & other forums. While OK every now and then, if overdone, puts a lot of wear on the memory. Since we're speaking of Sleep, how often do you place the computer in this mode? 

Speaking of the 'RAM card', do you mean the RAM module or stick? 

Also, have you reset the jumpters to set everything to default. 

If so, being that you've tried in both slots, I hope very carefully, not on a carpeted surface & grounding yourself by touching the metal frame while doing the work. Or by using a wrist strap connected to any part of the metal frame (preferred), in this case your RAM may not be seated properly, should hear & feel a click on both ends, or simply no longer good. Do you have another RAM module that'll work in the computer? 

Not knowing much about your hardware other than being an Acer Aspire Desktop kind of puts us in a bind, there's many different models. Could be a decade old or just a year or two. 

If you'll provide us with more information, I'll be happy to take a look when I logon again. Typically am on here at night, so will typically see your response, :)

Good Link! Remember, we're here for you, it's just that we need more leads to go over. <_<

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

Cat - thank you. Will get full specs and post. I should clarify on the not booting. Only will not boot if I remove the RAM card. If I put it in either of the 2 memory slots it works just fine - just end up beeping every second after sitting for 1-2 hours. I assume this to be sleep mode. And yes, I mean the RAM stick - fits into the slot on the mother board. Thanks!

Further replies - the computer is approx 2 years old and the beep issue started about 2 months ago. I did make sure the RAM card is seated properly - thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2018 - 03:50 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#4 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Try this:

Go to Control Panel--Power Manager--Advanced Mode--Global Power Settings--Power Management Options. Locate "Beep when power state changes," and if it is checked, then uncheck it.

I suspect this is something to do with power settings. Also assuming you're running Windows 7 or up, set your power settings to hybrid sleep. It combines sleep and hibernation which is vastly more efficient and kinda the best of both worlds. 

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

#5 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

jarlmaster:   will give that  a whirl tonight when I get home from work - many thanks.

cat:  This is anAcer Aspire ATC-780-AMZi5 Desktop (Windows 10 Home)

Link here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1INXJK/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2018 - 03:51 PM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

That sleep mode beep is interesting, another strange anomaly that windows seems to have with the sleep/hibernate mode.  The steady beep with no ram installed is normal.  Power settings and the sleep/hibernate options have been creating loads of faults.  Some systems (like yours) operate fine for years and then goes into an intermittent lock up or blue screen.  Most have been tracked back to a bad update or an update that changed one of the options.

#7 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

Jarl: I did not see "Power Manager" under Control Panel (Windows 10). There was "power options", but no advanced mode, global power settings, etc that I could see. I did change the sleep settings to hybernate after 60 minutes and sleep "never". So we'll see if that does the trick. If not, I'll report back. Thanks all.

Mjd - thanks for the note on the continuous beep with no ram being normal - had me worried.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:13 AM

Am back. try what you have done & see how it goes. :)

BTW, nice system you have there.......more modern components than I have, am not on a DDR4 RAM build yet, although my next will be!

Sometimes Windows Update provides funky generic drivers & in the case of Windows 10, it's going to happen.....with every new release when upgraded. Should you continue to experience the issue, we'll need to find the offending driver, download the proper Acer one from the site, remove the bad with Device Manager, ignore the reboot if called for (if done then the old will be reinstalled) for & then install yours and reboot. So once you have found the driver, be sure to save your Acer replacement for the next upgrade. :)

We can (likely) find the the issue with a little utility called BlueScreenView by Nirsoft, ships in a small bundle, is portable, nothing is installed & it's available from our site's Downloads section, so it's been scanned for safety. Just make sure to get the '86-64' version.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bluescreenview/

This shows what's causing the issues after reading minidumps. Something you may want to checkout if the system continues to beep. There's another that I use, called 'WhoCrashed' on the below page, helped me figure out an issue on one of my Dell systems. Just make sure to download the free version, current version WhoCrashed 6.0.1. :)

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

These little tools are lifesavers & one doesn't (usually) need to be a BSOD expert to interpret the results, there's an explanation provided, along with the offending driver. 

So based on what we know so far, it's likely a driver, and if persists, one of these tools can identify the cause fast (may have to run as Administrator). 

Any more beeps, download either tool and run it & post the results. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

Cat:

Thanks for this info - had not thought it could be a driver issue.  I did not get a chance to check if the system is still beeping this morning after turned off sleep mode; will check tonight and will report back.  Thanks.

#10 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:56 AM

The hybernate instead of sleep seems to have done the trick. As Cat indicates, likely a driver issue but under the general guy rule of "if it's not broken don't fix it" I think I'll declare victory at this point. Thanks all!

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

I have seen quite a few units that exhibit strange behavior when in sleep or hibernate.  Un-related, intermittent failures at boot and recovering from those modes do funny things to the registry.  Many are plagued with BSOD and system power and time out settings can be in conflicting modes, confusing the CPU when asked to awaken.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

The hybernate instead of sleep seems to have done the trick. As Cat indicates, likely a driver issue but under the general guy rule of "if it's not broken don't fix it" I think I'll declare victory at this point. Thanks all!

Hopefully things goes your way, even if holds up during this upgrade, may not be so lucky on the next one. 

Sometimes a clean install helps, on the other hand, will then have to install all of your software choices again. I still recommend the first BSOD scanner above to give us & yourself some insight as to why the beeps. Surely there's an underlying cause & will likely return. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users