Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium sp2 restore hangs up on gridvista install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roudonis

roudonis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

I am working on an Acer Aspire 3810TZ, trying to restore Vista Home Premium from the Acer Recovery Management.  When I tell the computer to restore to factory condition it goes through everything smoothly, bringing up windows, no problems with going through the Windows setup (name, device name, background, profile picture) and then opens up to the desktop.   I do not have a disk to use for an install

It immediately opens and runs AlaunchX which begins to install 16 more things including (in this order with exact spelling) 1/16 Sunyia camera Utility Crystal eye; 2/16 ALPS Touchpad Touch Pad; 3/16 FOXCONN TW Bluetooth B2 2.0 Broad...; 4/16 Dritek Launch Manager; 5/16 SynapticsTouchpad Touch Pad; 6/16 GridVista

And that's as far as it gets.  It hangs up on GridVista.  There is no way that I can see to stop ALaunchX.  It does show up  on the task bar but does not respond to either right or left click.  There are no buttons to minimize or close the window.

Immediately after the ALaunchX starts a Welcome Center window opens up  showing things to get familiar with Windows and Offers from Acer.  It is also unresponsive to either right or left click.

The only way I've found to do anything is to force a shutdown.  Restarting in Safe Mode, I did a {Start} [Restart].  It opened up normally, ALaunchX started again at 5/16 Synaptics and hung up again on 6/16 GridVista.

Edited by roudonis, 19 February 2018 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

The below page show the procedure for stopping AlaunchX on XP but the steps should work for Vista.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/149393/alaunchx-exe-causes-freezing-acer-aspire-aoa150-windows-xp-home

#3 roudonis

roudonis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

The below page show the procedure for stopping AlaunchX on XP but the steps should work for Vista.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/149393/alaunchx-exe-causes-freezing-acer-aspire-aoa150-windows-xp-home

Thank you!  But I do have a concern with that that perhaps you can also help me with?  

AlaunchX has 16 things that it installs.  With the knowing that the touchpad and camera are among them, I am concerned with what else might be important.  I certainly don't mind losing GridVista- that's one that I would have uninstalled anyway, but it is only #6 of 16.  Is there someplace or a way that I can see what else is among those 16?  It is showing me only *what* it is installing as it is installing it, not a checklist that allows me to see what itwill be installing next:(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

I can't tell you what follows. After stopping AlauchX reboot and look for any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. From there you can determine what drivers you need to download from your computer's support site. If you have trouble determining what drivers to install post back.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/1176;-;

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 February 2018 - 09:46 PM.

#5 roudonis

roudonis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Thank you.

So here's what happened in Vista.

Per the instructions from the site referenced by John_C21 I did a hard shut down then restarted andchose safe mode

Next I hit the [Windows] + R.  This brought up the Run box

Typed in misconfig and hit enter.   When System Configuration came up I selected Selective Startup, Load system services and load startup items

Next I went to the Startup tab and unchecked Acer GAIA AppInRun (command c:\acer\preload\command\ALaunchX\AppInRun.exe

It was the only thing I could find that refrenced the ALaunchX

Hit [apply] on exit [Restart]

When it restarted, it did open the ALaunchX at the same place Iwas having problems, but I hit something (sorry, not sure exactly what, maybe the[Window] button?).  The screen changed to a blue with GridVista in really big letters on it,then back to the desktop and appears to have installed the balance of the apps without problem.

Edited by roudonis, 20 February 2018 - 01:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users