Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

This is actually a continuation of a previous post that I had made.  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/668992/windows-10-freezes-up-when-trying-to-do-an-update/   

I thought that I had the problem solved but the dragon has reared its ugly head again!! I had two updates that I was able to manually install during the last few weeks--the 3rd on (yesterday) is giving the same old problem--it doesn't want to install without freezing up when it should do a restart. So I decided to do the "clean install" that was suggested in my first post (link above). The info that I used for the clean install was https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/    

I think that I have done everything correctly but I am now in a continuous loop. Windows 10 pro starts installing and when it gets to the end of the install it does one restart and tries to do a second restart but all that I get is a black screen. If I manually restart I get a message that says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info and then we'll restart for you" it shows a 0% complete and that never changes--it just sits on "0 complete" I tried to do the whole process over again but I get the same problem. I tried booting up using the harddrive--same problem. At this point I am dead in the water--please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

I would contact Microsoft tech support. They're actually quite helpful more often than not. It's free and they work hard to fix your issue. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

Did you remember to do as JohnC_21's instructions suggested to use the Convert MBR command?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

Did you remember to do as JohnC_21's instructions suggested to use the Convert MBR command?

Yes I did the MBR command---it seems like other people have had this problem as well  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-clean-installation-stuck-at-finishing/841a21c0-313f-4c2b-a296-3c0352ebddf4?auth=1https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-clean-installation-stuck-at-finishing/841a21c0-313f-4c2b-a296-3c0352ebddf4?auth=1  

I am going to try this fix today--the pc has been unplugged since last night--I will post what happens.

I would contact Microsoft tech support. They're actually quite helpful more often than not. It's free and they work hard to fix your issue. 

Where would I find that number???

#5 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

Yes I did the MBR command---it seems like other people have had this problem as well  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-clean-installation-stuck-at-finishing/841a21c0-313f-4c2b-a296-3c0352ebddf4?auth=1https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-clean-installation-stuck-at-finishing/841a21c0-313f-4c2b-a296-3c0352ebddf4?auth=1  

I am going to try this fix today--the pc has been unplugged since last night--I will post what happens.

Just use their chat function.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Say agent, describe your problem briefly, and it will connect you with a support person. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

Reset Windows Update Components.

Open notebook, copy and paste the code below in the notebook.  In Windows 8.1 and 10 you will have to open Search and type in notebook.  Notebook will appear in the results, click/tap on it to open notebook.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

Once you have pasted this in notebook click on File and select Save as and save it as "WUReset.bat", include the quotation marks.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

Just use their chat function.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Say agent, describe your problem briefly, and it will connect you with a support person. 

************************************************************************************************************************************************

I just got off the phone with a MS tech--at first he suggested testing my hardware in the pc--which I have no problem doing--except I don't really know how to do that!!!!

The other suggestion that he came up with is to use the DVD for Win 7  that came with the pc --install  win 7 and then install win10 from the USB that has the win 10 ISO file on it--thoughts?????

#8 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

Reset Windows Update Components.

Open notebook, copy and paste the code below in the notebook.  In Windows 8.1 and 10 you will have to open Search and type in notebook.  Notebook will appear in the results, click/tap on it to open notebook.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE
Once you have pasted this in notebook click on File and select Save as and save it as "WUReset.bat", include the quotation marks.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

You do realize that the pc in question no longer has an OS --the HDD has all been cleaned!! 

Attached Files

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Too many topics, too much time between posts = posting errors.  These things happen.

Where did you get the installation media?

Are you sure the media is viable?

Have you run any tests to determine that there isn't a problem with the mass storage device?

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, earlier versions do not have this option.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.  If the short test fails please run the long test.

When ever I reinstall a operating system I always wipe (overwrite) the hdd first so it is a clean slate to start with.  You could do the same with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke.

Edited by dc3, 21 February 2018 - 10:07 AM.

#10 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

Too many topics, too much time between posts = posting errors.  These things happen.

Thanks for your reply

I got the MCT at     https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I wouldn't even know how to find out!

Have you run any tests to determine that there isn't a problem with the mass storage device?

No I have not--I don't even know how to do that!!!

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

The ISO file was downloaded to my other pc and I copied to a 16Gb USB Flash Drive

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, earlier versions do not have this option.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.  If the short test fails please run the long test.

I don't understand why I need to go through the above process--I already have the USB drive with the ISO file on it and I have been able to use that drive to boot up the pc in question--the installation of win 10 does start and progress to almost the finish but then it freezes up before it is completed

When ever I reinstall a operating system I always wipe (overwrite) the hdd first so it is a clean slate to start with.  You could do the same with a program like Darik's Boot and Nude.

#11 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:00 AM

When ever I reinstall a operating system I always wipe (overwrite) the hdd first so it is a clean slate to start with.  You could do the same with a program like Darik's Boot and Nude.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I burned a CD as you suggested and I placed it into the pc in question--I changed the boot order so it would boot from the CD/DVD player--not working--I don't see any Tools

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Please do the following.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options from Command Prompt

1. Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

shutdown /r /o /f /t 00

Click/tap on Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Startup Repair to run the repair.

#13 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

Please do the following.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options from Command Prompt

1. Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

shutdown /r /o /f /t 00

Click/tap on Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Startup Repair to run the repair.

I'm sorry--The pc in question does not have an OS at this point so I have a problem with this suggestion    "Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm."    

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Use your installation media to do the following.

How to perform a Refresh using your installation media.

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  This will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

#15 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

Use your installation media to do the following.

How to perform a Refresh using your installation media.

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  This will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Thanks for your reply--

I am somewhat confused about your reply. What you wrote sounds alot like what I did in the beginning of this post. I followed the process in this link    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/        

Everything was going fine in the install until the very end and the pc froze after the first restart--I tried three times to install win 10 but each time it would not completely finish.

Right now I was finally able to download UBCD and I am running an extended test on the HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users