Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intel 4790k possibly bottlenecking?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 threebills

threebills

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

SO,I have a 4790k OC'D to 4.6 ghz,I replaced my asus gtx 980 TI with an EVGA 1080 FTW....I don't see anything bad,its runs smooth,looks great...I  just wanna be sure the 4790k at 4.6 is not bottlenecking the 1080 ftw....opinions? Thank you,much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

It's not a case of it is or it isn't.  It'll depend on the game, settings, and resolution you are playing at.  For example on most games running at 720p resolution with lower details you are highly likely to be CPU limited (i.e. the CPU is the bottleneck).  In other words, the GPU is able to churn out frames so fast at these settings, the CPU is unable to keep up.  At 1440p on a modern title, everything turned up high, you are highly likely to be GPU bound (the GPU is the bottleneck).  The higher the resolution and details settings, the less likely the CPU is to be a limiting factor.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:01 AM

If you're willing to take the chance, there's a tool that low cost, plus a tube of liquid metal, and ATV sealant, can jack the performance of the 4790K to 5GHz easily with less heat. :)

May need to feed a bit more voltage, yet many has delidded their Ivy Bridge & later CPU's with great success. Fortunately, we no longer need to revert to risky operations such as putting the die in a vise & striking a wood block with a hammer on the IHS to separate, or perhaps worse, the knife, which carries a safety hazard. All can be had for just over $50 shipped, which can be spread in cost if there's more than one owned that can benefit or (2) do it for someone else once you have the experience. My kit wasn't the first one I wanted, one from the EU that's constantly sold out, so settled on the Rockit 88 kit. I highly recommend that you watch some YouTube videos on how to do this before purchasing anything, so that you'll see what's involved, looks fairly simple, depending on which video you've viewing. As for me, don't care for the music, want to see the work. 

I have three Haswells, to include both Devil's Canyon (4790K i7 & 4690K i5), as well as a i7-4770 that shipped in my XPS 8700. Have the tools, just haven't done it yet, have either been bedridden (am disabled), busy assisting others when I can, or working on my own computers, of which I have too many. These are mine, taken on my dining room table, my original work & not a copy/paste of another. I don't do business that way, on forums or in person. :)

nGczGrV.jpg

5uW9ChV.jpg

1792F0q.jpg

BTW, for further proof it's my work, here's the 1st out of four sets of DDR3-2400 RAM purchased, wanted to try one kit before purchasing the other three. :)

q4thgL0.jpg

Like you, I can get to 4.6Ghz fine by upping the multiplier, it's when I get to 4.7GHz & especially 4.8GHz, the BSOD's come in. Took me over 4 months & many BSOD's to break my own record on the HWBOT site with 1224 points, came within 2-3 points & one day, finally beat my previous by 3 points. I was once ranked in the top 1% of much everything, haven't participated as of late, yet will one this job gets done. You can go down the page & see my activity, also also the same set of RAM, submitted as a pic that proved I had purchased GSkill RAM. 

http://hwbot.org/user/cat1092/

BTW, I need to get one last item, although locally available, some clear nail polish. This should be applied in two thin coats (note that some uses Scotch tape instead & remove afterwards), I'd rather protect the die with a clear coat, am clumsy with tape & don't want any of that liquid metal to come in contact with the die. Also, while the RTV sealant is in a somewhat large tube, can use for other purposes, only a thin cost is needed to reseal the IHS. Some uses super glue, IMO, that can become a disaster should the job need to be redone in the future. There's circuits on the die, that super glue may break one & once that happens, all you have is an extra IHS, the rest of the CPU is useless. The RTV sealant is soft, only meant to seal, not a permanent bond, commonly used on valve cover, thermostat & other gaskets to prevent leaks, or to hold in place during assembly. 

Maybe running at 5.0Ghz, your i7-4790K won't be a bottleneck. BTW, the 4790K beats it's successor, the 6700K in Passmark tests, this is amazing, especially considering it uses DDR4 RAM. :thumbsup:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2275&cmp[]=2565

The i7-4790K was once Intel's flagship quad core CPU, if you can squeeze just a bit more performance out of it, won't bottleneck the 1080 FTW, doesn't my 1070 FTW during benchmarks (Heaven's Benchmark, Futuremark & others), you'll be fine while running lower temps by 20-30C as a result. I'm going to do some before & after benches, which will also show temps, will then be convinced that the effort is worth the time. Some has even repasted the IHS with MX-2 & laid the IHS onto the die in the socket and shown 20C dips, so am positive liquid metal will do the same or better. 

Good Luck, no matter which way you turn, don't give up on the 4790K, it was Intel's last gift to those who made Haswell the longest running of the 'i' series to date (over 3 years). It can still hang, if the performance can be brought out of it. Will need some fine tuning to get to 5.0Ghz, and I'd like to think a bit higher, maybe 5.1/5.2GHz if lucky. Who knows, some chips are a bit better than others, yet I feel 4.6Ghz is way on the low end, should be 4.9GHz minimum (with delid & tuning). Some makes it to 4.8GHz with tuning only, but I don't trust that thermal paste to hold up, there's no substitute for metal to metal contact. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

You don't need to delid your CPU or increase your OC. I can confidently say that your CPU is NOT bottlenecking your system to any appreciable degree. It's all in the game and its degree of optimization. Any well optimized game will take full advantage (more or less) of your CPU and GPU. 

I recently upgraded my gaming computer, which was running an i7 920 (a 9.5 year old chip!) with the GTX 970 that I'm still using. At 1080p, I could still get 50-60 fps in triple A titles at max settings or close to them. So if I could do all that with a chip that is a decade old, you can do FAR more with a 3 year old chip. You can pretty much run a CPU until it dies before upgrading and not suffer much for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users