Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is DX12 support and benefits?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

I don't know if this thread is in the right place but here we go.

When I heard about DX12 and read up on it/watched videos on it I was hyped. I was sure that it would be the next big thing and really move the game industry forward. I was expecting bigger, more complicated games with better graphics and roughly similar overhead to what had come before it. Barely any games support DX12 almost 3 years post release. What gives? 

I've heard that DX12 is complicated, that it doesn't offer much benefit over DX11 in most use cases, etc. Do you guys have anything to add? Wouldn't it be beneficial for devs to use the latest API when developing a game? Is it more expensive to develop games on a new API?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

Bump. Let's discuss this. Please enlighten me with any information you have on the subject.

#3 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

I tend to think its a bit of marketing to get people to upgrade. I have not noticed any difference in my gamming at all with direct x12.However I have noticed a difference say from my gtx690 to my gtx 980ti being the difference in the amount off vram that the card has .Moving forward in technology is unescapable and is not a bad thing, but moving forward for the sake of lining someone else's pockets and for advertised hype is another story. I personally don't think direct x12 is complicated, what becomes complicated is when people think they need it. I am all for the quality of my games being audio,video and performance but what with HDMI combined with 4k and the actual hardware we use, it takes care of itself. I have not even noticed the difference between gen2 and gen3. Some others might have. but personally I have gave up trying to find which is better and to add to that it has saved me a lot of money. These days what with the set up I have I only move forward if a component dies on me and I am forced to upgrade to reach a certain type of level in my gaming and if it comes with direct x12 then i'll take it as a bonus but not for something that I think I need.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#4 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Bit of a mixed bag. From what I've seen, some games have better frame rates with DX12 and some don't. Apparently it depends on CPU as well, as some CPU's get a bump in frame rate with DX12. 

I imagine it is a bit gimicky but at the same time, the point of an API is to improve performance, allow for more complex games, reduce overhead, and make it easier for devs to do their job. At least that's how I understand it.

I remember DX11 being a game changer. It made massive, noticeable improvements across the board. Graphics took a major leap forward (tesselation). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users