Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guidance on using Desktop/Folders/Home etc.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DeadRinger

DeadRinger

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hi.[/size]
18.3 Cinnamon 64 Bit.[/size]

I installed Dropbox. All seemed great. However, I am very new and I thought that I had made a shortcut (MS Windows term) to the Dropbox folder.[/size]
As it turned out I actually moved the entire contents of the Dropbox to this folder.[/size]

I freaked out later that day when on my other PC I noticed that EVERYTHING was gone from my Dropbox.[/size]
I ran back to the LINUX machine and found everything in the Dropbox on the Desktop, but there was "the real Dropbox" located under HOME which was empty.[/size]
I copied everything back to the Empty Dropbox and all is right in the world once again. WHEW![/size]

So I am left to think I don't understand how to make a shortcut to folders on the desktop and perhaps other IMPORTANT differences on how Cinnamon works with folders and shortcuts and file structure under HOME etc.[/size]

Is there a user guide?[/size]

Thanks in advance.[/size]

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2018 - 11:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

Russian spam aside Always consider your /home folder like you do the /users folder in windows.

Both serve essentially the same function and work practically the same way.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 February 2018 - 11:25 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 DeadRinger

DeadRinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Russian spam aside Always consider your /home folder like you do the /users folder in windows.

Both serve essentially the same function and work practically the same way.

Thanks.

SO when I right click on Desktop I don;t see "create a shortcut" but I do see "Create a new launcher here..." is this the equivalent or is Launcher something different?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

Practically though it will need you to create your shortcut manually.

The more direct way to make a desktop shortcut in cinnamon is to open up your menu and go to what you want to create a shortcut to and right click and select "add to desktop"

I know drag and drop from the cinnamon menu to the desktop is not possible due to the way cinnamon is coded (and its doubtful this will get fixed, but no biggie as its not that hard to create desktop shortcuts) so this is the way to do it.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 February 2018 - 11:50 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 DeadRinger

DeadRinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:57 AM

Practically though it will need you to create your shortcut manually.

The more direct way to make a desktop shortcut in cinnamon is to open up your menu and go to what you want to create a shortcut to and right click and select "add to desktop"

I know drag and drop from the cinnamon menu to the desktop is not possible due to the way cinnamon is coded (and its doubtful this will get fixed, but no biggie as its not that hard to create desktop shortcuts) so this is the way to do it.

Ah Yes...  Thanks!

NOTE:

I also learned that in File Manager you can open additional view and then use after slecting the source icon, CTRL+SHIFT then drag to the second view location...and drop...

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Once you know how things work it will come into place.

And yes isnt the file manager awesome here :D

Nemo (what the file manager in cinnamon is called) is very powerful, features such as split view and tabs are why I love it :D

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users