Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop Wireless Card issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Copus875

Copus875

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

Good Day, 

I am new to the forum but I need to ask since I have been at this for a while. I did a fresh install of windows 7 on a Toshiba satellite A665. Everything works fine except the wireless card. The driver is the most up to date FN+F8 doesn't work and when I diagnose it; the message please turn on wireless comes up. I have installed Toshiba's Flash Card utility and Value Package to no avail. The bios doesn't show the wireless card enable option. Could someone please help me out? Also tbswireless.exe isn't on my computer so that is out too.

Thank you,

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:01 AM

Try this:  As Below From - https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2782704

Let us know if it works or not ?

Issue

When pressing the FN+F8 keys to turn wireless on, you receive the following message.
"Wireless communication is disabled. Please turn on the Wireless communication switch”

switch.PNG

Resolution

To enable wireless communication, press the Wireless Antenna ON/OFF button located on the System Indicator Panel above the keyboard.
Once the Wireless Antenna is ON, you can use the FN+F8 keys to turn wireless on.

Procedure

1. Locate the Wireless Antenna ON/OFF button on the System Indicator Panel shown below outlined in Red.

keyboard.png

2. Press the Wireless Antenna ON/OFF button until you see ON displayed on your screen.

on.png

3. Press the FN+F8 keys to turn wireless on.

f8.png

Export Control and EULA Use of any software made available for download from this system constitutes your acceptance of the Export Control Terms and the terms in the Toshiba end-user license agreement both of which you can view before downloading any such software

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

Did you use the recovery partition or like you said did a fresh install?

If by chance you did do a fresh install you best way out is to get new software from Toshiba, that will end your problems. Some folks do a clean install to rid them selves of the junk ware, the simple route is to use the partition then use PCdecrapifier to rid the system of all the junk.

https://support.toshiba.com/repair

Edited by OldPhil, 19 February 2018 - 03:34 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Copus875

Copus875
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

Havachat, that button doesn't work and when I installed TVAP to the computer it disabled my FN keys and still did nothing for my wireless issue.

OldPhil it is a fresh install nothing from the old computer is left unless I use drill doctor.

Thank you for your replies!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

IMO go and get the factory ISO you will not regret it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Copus875

Copus875
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

OldPhil I will save that for last resort. I was hoping there might be a back door method for the wireless card. Thank you!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:09 AM

Press the Windows key + X to open Mobility Center. Is there a button that will let you turn on wireless? Are you at SP1 for Windows 7?

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

Out of curiosity what was the reason for the Windows reinstall?

What was the OS on the system prior to this fresh installation?

Was wireless working fine before the reinstall?

Was the reinstall due to wireless issues?

Of course you know that the specific things you need to get wireless (or other things) specific to a certain manufacturers hardware/software/function keys, etc. are not going to be on any Windows installation media so for those things you must turn to the manufacturers WWW site to get what you need.

Have you explored any other online communities you found with Google searches like this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32434-43-toshiba-satellite-a665-s6095-unable-turn-wireless-capability

The Toshiba support page directs you to Toms Hardware so there might be folks out there that have good knowledge of this problem.

Edited by joseibarra, 19 February 2018 - 10:41 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

The driver is the most up to date

Exactly what driver did you install and where did you download it from?

Have you tried uninstalling the driver in Device Manager and restart the computer to see if the new driver works?  Explanation if needed... When you uninstall a driver in the Device Manager a new driver will be installed the next time you start the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Copus875

Copus875
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

John_C21 I tried that but the wireless button is in the off position and grayed out.

joseibarra the wireless wasn't working before. I had to do a fresh install because of numerous viruses and corrupted windows files that a recovery dvd couldn't fix. I have also tried Tom's Hardware and numerous other sites with similar problems but none the same.

dc3 I got the driver from the manufactures direct website since it is an intel device. When I unistall it and restart the computer it puts back the same driver using what was download the first time. when I delete the driver entirely windows update cannot find a compatible driver for the device. 

I hope this sheds some light on my situation.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Wifi adapter in Device Manager? You may need to get a USB Wifi dongle similar to this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDIMAX-EW-7811Un-150-Mbps-Wireless-IEEE-802-11b-g-n-Nano-USB-Adapter/302290334531?hash=item4661e87343:g:vWEAAOSwpuBZ0P7U

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 February 2018 - 07:39 PM.

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,158 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Ah-ha...  So the wireless was not working before and of course there are not going to be any compatible software/drivers on the Windows installation media...  no drivers and no software to make the Fn buttons work.  You are going to have to find and install all that yourself but maybe there is just some internal hardware problem that no amount of fiddling/downloading will fix.

Perhaps you will never get the built in wireless working - maybe it is FUBAR so in that case you can consider a USB wireless device like this:

[attachment=202373:Untitled.jpg]

About $10 at Walmart and there are several other models and they are great for systems with broken wireless or older systems that do not have built in wireless - usually just plug them in and be on your way:

Link to Walmart

[attachment=202374:Untitled.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 19 February 2018 - 09:59 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

dc3 I got the driver from the manufactures direct website since it is an intel device.

You need to download the driver from the Toshiba website.  Go to the Toshiba website, you will need to enter the operating system and click/tap on OK, you may need to select the Drivers & Update tap to open it.

There will be a menu  to select your driver type, select the Intel driver appropriate for your computer.

U1m1Qlc.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users