Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"msvcrt40.dll expects a newer version of windows"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

I am having issues running several programs and System Information on my Windows 98 machine

These programs were designed for Windows 98 like Sim City 2000 Network Edition, but this error message comes up every time:

" The C:\Windows\system\msvcrt40.dll expects a newer version of windows. Upgrade your windows version."

And then another error message

"A device attached to the system is not functioning"

I Googled the error message and ONLY one single result showed up. It was somebody else running Windows 98 as well. But his had no replies whatsoever.

I tried reinstalling Windows 98 over my existing Windows 98 but the problem persists. It is as if setup did not even replace that file with the factory version.

How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Despistado

Despistado

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:59 PM

I assume the file is newer than it should be.

You could extract the original file from the Windows 98 CD and then replace the one on your system in DOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users