Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where to find RNDIS driver for USB file transfer with XP & Moto G4 Android phone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Curmudgeon3

Curmudgeon3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

I want to move hundreds of pictures off my Moto G4 phone to my Windows desktop over a USB cable (much faster than uploading them to some place in the cloud and then downloading them to my PC).

I've got a Dell Dimension E520 desktop, running Windows XP SP3.  My phone is a Moto G4 running Android 7.0.  I've had some difficulties with outdated documentation because my phone's software has been updated repeatedly since I got it 1½ years ago, but I've found the switch to change from USB charging to USB data (Settings app, More, Tethering & portable hotspot, USB tethering).  Switching this to "tethered" on the phone activates the Windows New Hardware Wizard to install software for RNDIS.  The wizard fails to find anything at Microsoft.  I've done searches for RNDIS for Windows XP.  There are a bunch of driver sites, but they contain just download links and negligible information about the software.  I've tried the following:

Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_6.2.0_32bit.zip

MotorolaDeviceManager_2.5.4.exe

htc_sync_manager_3.1.24.5.exe

None of these have worked.  Two of the above turned out to be whiz-bang utilities that purport to synch your music, videos, and whatnot between your phone & PC, which are way beyond what I want even if they did work.

So my problem breaks down into the following pieces:

1) Is getting a Remote NDIS driver the right way to accomplish USB file transfer?

2) If so, where can a get a working RNDIS driver?

3) How do I install that driver properly?  (As noted, most driver sites don't include documentation.)

There's an additional wrinkle which may be relevant to accomplishing what I want, and that's how I'm connecting to the InterNet: via an external WiFi dongle.  USB 2 is faster than 802.11n which is faster than my AT&T DSL, so this all works normally.  However, the Motorola Device Manager failed immediately upon startup because it tried to check for a software update and couldn't locate the InterNet.  I've got got two "broken" status icons in my system tray:

• Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged
  • Wireless Network Connection: Not Connected.  Right-click here for more options.

The first of these is because I've got nothing plugged into the EtherNet port.  For the second, this only appeared after installing and removing one of the above programs.  I *think* this is assuming a known-to-Windows WiFi capability my machine doesn't have.  Right-clicking brings up a "Choose a wireless network" pop-up which says "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection.  If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection, use that software."  I'm using the software which came with my B-Link 11n USB plug-in.  I would guess the Motorola program tries to talk to some lower-level Windows interface rather than just using TCP/IP and not caring about the hardware connection.

Any insight into my problem would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by Curmudgeon3, 18 February 2018 - 01:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

I am not sure that you need this driver. Are these images stored on a plug-in microSD card or on the SIM card itself ?  In either case I would take the card out of the camera, and using an adapter, plug it directly into your computer then use Windows Explorer to transfer the images. I appreciate that taking the SIM card out may be more work than you wish to do.

The card should show up as an external drive in WinExplorer, probably called 'Motorola x,y,z'. Drilling down into its file structure you should come to a folder called 'DCIM' - that's where your photos are stored. As a transfer method this is even quicker than using a cable.

I am not quite clear whether you are having a wifi problem or not but if you are I suggest you start a topic in the 'Networking' section about it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Curmudgeon3

Curmudgeon3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

The images aren't in any removable card; they're in the built-in 32 GB storage of the phone.

There's no WiFi involved in the transfer I want to make; it's purely over the USB cable.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

If you connect the phone to your computer by USB cable and switch the phone on then open Windows Explorer does the phone not show up as an external drive, probably called 'Moto_xxx' ?  If it does, exactly like any other drive, you should be able to work down through its file structure to find the image files. This is how I have taken photos off several phones in the past. I am not guarranteeing it will work, but worth a try.

Sorry I didn't get back before now but I was late home yseterday and the night before I had no access due to the DDoS attack.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 VBCONZ

VBCONZ

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:06 AM

https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89881

Has drivers that may help.

#6 Curmudgeon3

Curmudgeon3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

If you connect the phone to your computer by USB cable and switch the phone on then open Windows Explorer does the phone not show up as an external drive, probably called 'Moto_xxx' ?

Chris Cosgrove

When I switch USB tethering ON, it triggers a Windows New Hardware Wizard on my PC to install software for RNDIS.  The wizard fails to find anything at Microsoft.  If I cancel the software installation, then sure, I get an Explorer window for "My Computer\Moto G (4)", but it doesn't show any content on the phone and I can't copy anything there from my PC.

#7 Curmudgeon3

Curmudgeon3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

That's the "MotorolaDeviceManager_2.5.4.exe" I tried already.  It's a feature-rich tool for file transfer, automatic synching, and lots of other whiz-bang stuff I have no need for.  As I noted in my first post, it doesn't work because it tries and fails to detect the InterNet immediately upon startup, and won't proceed.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

I think this is a XP problem but when the phone is connected to XP did you pull down the phone's notification bar and select USB icon > MTP mode

Sometimes a change of cables works too.

https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/cell-phones/android-series/moto-g-4th-gen/tutorials#/device/motorola/moto-g4-g4-plus/topic/data/transfer-data-from-phone-to-computer-windows/1

You can also download the XP MTP software

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19153

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 February 2018 - 09:04 PM.

#9 Curmudgeon3

Curmudgeon3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

I think this is a XP problem but when the phone is connected to XP did you pull down the phone's notification bar and select USB icon > MTP mode

I got it to work, finally!

Things are different on my phone with Android Nougat.  There's no selecting the USB icon.  Instead, pulling down from the notification area gives a 3-line expanded description of each notification icon.  From there I can scroll down to "USB for file transfer" and tap on that expanded notification for options.  There's also no "MTP mode" selection, but what I need instead is "Transfer files".  There was a huge wait before I could copy one photo file from the phone to my PC (about 4-5 minutes).  But then the next photo I copied was pretty much instantaneous.  (I first tried the "Transfer photos (PTP)" option, because that was the initial type of files I was interested in transferring; that failed.  However, photos are just .jpg files, so I'm happy.)

I'm still fumbling along trying to translate between the Android 6 documentation I've got for my Moto G4 and the Android 7 software I'm running on the phone now, but I've overcome this current hurdle.  I'm set for the hundreds or thousands of pictures along the Appalachian Trail I'll be accumulating starting next month.

My sincere thanks to everyone who tried to help me out with my odd combination of old Windows XP software on one end and new Android Nougat software on the other end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users