Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johneeboxer44

Johneeboxer44

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

I wanted to know, what is the best affordable ($200) graphics card  for my computer. I was thinking GTX 960 4gb or RX 560 4gb-- Heres the specs,

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-32BF9U8
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7996
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2.50, 2/23/2016
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer MSI
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.248"
User Name DESKTOP-32BF9U8\John M
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.09 GB
Total Virtual Memory 14.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Page File Space 6.42 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Hello Johneeboxer44,

Couple of questions if I may;

Are you wanting the card for gaming.

Using the ID for the MB from your info above MSI MS-7996 gives us the board here which is the micro ATX type that are often used in smaller chassis.

What type of computer case do you have, full tower, mid tower or a SFF (small form factor).

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU (power supply unit).

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

As a general rule I have found that using Nvidia cards in Intel chipsets and ATI cards in AMD's results in a little better stability and if you found a GTX 1060 for close to $200, you found a great deal; but, as PhillPower2 asked, is your power supply up to the loads?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

Nothing

Right now GPU prices are utterly insane with low end and budget cards being priced up to twice or three times the suggested MSRP

This is due to cryptocurrency like etherium and bitcoin and GPU's being good at mining them.

Wait at least another three months as hopefully things will settle down but as it is right now its a pricey market getting even a semi decent GPU at a good price.

Older models will be a good bet but new models are bound to appear.

Edited by MadmanRB, 18 February 2018 - 01:34 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

Save the cash & don't spend on a GTX 960 (2 or 4GB GDDR5), the performance isn't there, I have one, purchased when released! Mine's the 2GB version, had I waited just another 10-14 days, the 4GB version would had been mine for $40 more. :)

While a GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5) would be a decent card at their original prices (have the SSC for $279 & FTW for $299), forget it at now over original 1070 FTW pricing (mine was $429 shipped). I could sell it for $750-800 at any time desired, am simply happy that I got my cards before the latest mining craze went into effect. It wasn't too long back that the GTX 1080 was lowered to around $500 on Newegg, although didn't last long. :(

Once pricing does settle, the 6GB version of the 1060 is a decent card. Don't spend $60 less for the 3GB version, not worth it. A friend of mine purchased one & it just doesn't hang with my 6GB card. More memory is always better, especially with a 192 bit card. This also gives you extra time to save more cash for when pricing takes another dip. 

This stated, I cannot recommend eBay purchases of these cards at this time. Many may say 'used for lite gaming', 'never overclocked', 'never used for mining' & other things to persuade the purchase. High chances are these has been in mining for 24/7 since purchase & therefore been abused, over 80% of it's lifespan shot. & unlike a drive, you have no way of knowing how long it's been ran. Unless you're allowed to add a 2-3 year SquareTrade warranty for $25 or so extra bucks at time of purchase, don't buy. Anyone with a GTX 1060/1070 that has been taken care of, knows what these cards are worth & the cost will be no less (likely much higher) than new. Furthermore, miners knows when to unload one, the cards becomes less efficient with long term 24/7, overclocked usage & the 1060, while a decent card, isn't as durable as the 1070/1080, meaning these won't hold up as long under tough conditions. Mining is much tougher on these than say running a folding@home or similar app, where there's some less strenuous cycles. 

Many who chose the GTX 1060 for mining were going for best 'bang for the buck', using underrated cards to do their work to get into the game at the lowest cost,  whereas a 1070/1080 would had been a better choice over the long run. 

Last yet not least, I can't recommend the 10 series line at this time, as it was released in 2016, NVIDIA will likely have a newer line out soon, featuring GDDR6 or HBR2 RAM. Much more card for your money & more power efficient. 

It's better to play it safe than be stuck with a near EOL GPU, if you do find one, get it from a friend or trusted source where you know for certain the card isn't used for mining. 

Just telling it like it is, maybe not what you want to hear, most of the GTX 1050/1050 Ti line now costs more than my GTX 1060 SSC. 

As MadmanRB stated above..........do nothing for now, you'll appreciate our advice down the road. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users