Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade of Graphics card

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Hi Guys,

I wonder if I might get a little advice on upgrading  my Graphics card please.  Below I shall post my summery specs. I have not got much money so I am considering just upgradin my Graphics card.  Thething is, I do not know if my motherboard or processor will take the upgrade. Could some one please let me know if it is not too much trouble.

Thank you very much.

Luckyjfl

Summary

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i3 4150 @ 3.50GHz 36 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-G (SOCKET 1150) 16 °C

Graphics
S271HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (NVIDIA) 19 °C

Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DX 001-1NS162 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 21 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB SCSI CdRom Device

Audio
Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2018 - 05:46 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Bldg/Upgrading - Hamluis.

Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

what is your reasoning for wanting to upgrade?

#3 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

I have the opportunity to put a better graphics card in.  I thought the Nvidia 730 was sort of low cost card. What do you think, then Mikey11.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

unless you are heavily into playing games on the computer, i wouldn't bother....but its your dime not mine

#5 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

Ok, cheers for the advice, Mikey.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Do yourself a favor and wait, right now GPU prices are insane thanks to cryptocurrency miners, GPU prices are double if not triple of what they normally cost.

I would wait until at least April or May before even thinking about upping your GPU, its not worth overspending

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 February 2018 - 07:26 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

If you're not using it for games then there's little advantage to upgrading the GPU.  If you want an upgrade, I'd consider getting another 4 Gb memory.  You're using a 64 bit OS so it should help with general performance.  TBH memory is another thing that is ridiculously overpriced at present but the worst of it is being felt in the fast DDR4 segment.  You should be able to pick up a stick of 4 Gb DDR3 1333 without breaking the bank.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

Thanks Guys for brill advice. Just one thing I am Not too sure of.  Will my motherboard take the extra Ram.  I do actually play , Jops and AW2 .

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

If you're not using it for games then there's little advantage to upgrading the GPU.  If you want an upgrade, I'd consider getting another 4 Gb memory.  You're using a 64 bit OS so it should help with general performance.  TBH memory is another thing that is ridiculously overpriced at present but the worst of it is being felt in the fast DDR4 segment.  You should be able to pick up a stick of 4 Gb DDR3 1333 without breaking the bank.

+1

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Guys for brill advice. Just one thing I am Not too sure of.  Will my motherboard take the extra Ram.  I do actually play , Jops and AW2 .

Motherboard specs here

Your motherboard has 4 memory slots, so yes it will.  Your spec above says 4 Gb (Single Channel) so most likely it's just one 4 Gb module fitted. Easy way to check to see what you have in your system (if using Windows 10) is open the Task Manager and go to the "Performance" tab and click the Memory bar on the side.  The highlighted bit shows how many memory slots your system has, and how many are in use.

OVal3DT.jpg

If you install a second module in the correct slot, it will enable dual channel memory which gives a small performance boost in addition to what you get from the extra memory alone...

Not sure what Jops is, and Google wasn't much help either.  AW2 looks like a browser based game which would be unlikely to benefit much from a faster GPU.

Edited by jonuk76, 18 February 2018 - 11:20 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

Hi Jonuk76, sorry about the initials JOPS and AW2.  JOPS  means a Nova game called " Joint Operations.  It has a few mods which can be added for free. One of those is called  " Advanced Warfare 2. I will definitely consider  getting the extra RAM.

Cheers .

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Ah I see.  Well that's quite an old game so no need to go too mad :)

Some possible options include (in brackets are relative performance compared to a GT 730 according to the TechPowerUp GPU Database).  As probably already said, prices are just stupid at the moment on more high end stuff, and it's having a knock on effect everywhere, so I'll leave it to you to decide to wait or buy now..

Nvidia GT1030 (304%) - From £65

AMD Radeon RX550 (383%) - From £78 

Nvidia GTX 1050 (602%) - From £110

AMD Radeon RX560 (524%) - From £122

List on PCPartpicker sorted by price showing some prices on these cards in the UK 

The indicated performance increases are very much approximate, probably can't be relied on (there's actually several, completely different variants of the GT730) but just intended to give a rough idea.  Try to look at reviews of a few models before you buy.

Edited by jonuk76, 18 February 2018 - 08:51 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the help, jonuk76. I will give this some thought.

All the best.

#14 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

Getting back to my original question. Could some please suggest  a graphics card I can upgrade to, that is compatable with my specs. That's all I need to know, thank you so much.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

It has been suggested that you increase your amount of RAM, I would suggest doing this first.  Since your RAM is running in single channel I'm guessing that you only have one 4GB module installed?

There is an advantage in running RAM in dual channel.  Dual channel increase the throughput speed almost doubling it.

Please do the following to supply us with specific system information, like the part number, manufacturer, and the number of modules installed.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users