Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD help needed, please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mortem

Mortem

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QZuKXWHgJObWLOr8vtDTy7J

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thewebdevil

thewebdevil

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Can you provide more information to the circumstances of your BSOD> Is it occurring during bootup or while Windows in running, during a game, etc.?

#3 Mortem

Mortem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

Hi,

This occurred while I was browsing online.  In one tab I had an online game running.  This has happened a few times, always while I am using chrome, I think, but not necessarily with an online game running.  Never during bootup.

Also, i did a memory test using a USB stick as a boot device.  When I first did it, after about 1.5 minutes it gave me 197 errors on #4 (I have no idea what that means), but then I did it again switching the USB port I used and it did 3 passes and found no errors.

When I had the BSOD, I had my Kid's rechargeable remote control car plugged into that same USB port where I got the 197 errors.  I don't know enough to guess if these things are meaningfully connected or just coincidences.

thanks.

#4 thewebdevil

thewebdevil

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

There are slots on your motherboard containing RAM chips. Even if the test only showed errors the one time, it indicates you may be having intermittant problems with the chip inserted into slot #4. Power off the computer and remove the one chip and see if the problem resolves. If so, you can replace it. It's one of the cheapest hardware repairs.

#5 Mortem

Mortem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

Thank you.  I will try that out.  Nice and easy if that solves it!

#6 Mortem

Mortem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

Ha.  Crashed again just after I made the last post.  But now I have removed the memory chip from slot 4, so we will see how it goes.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:13 PM

Your Speccy Report showed some errors. The -12 and -5 voltages are way off. There should be no more than a 5% variance + or -. See below.

CPU CORE: 0.848 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 3.040 V
+3.3V: 3.328 V
+5V: 5.080 V
+12V: 12.032 V
-12V: -8.576 V
-5V: -8.576 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 4.892 V

Also your BIOS is almost 10 years out of date. I'd suggest going to the Dell Site and updating everything available. Dell has diagnostic tests built right in. To access them, rapidly tap the F12 key when the system is first started.

Then select the "Diagnostic" option from the screen that comes up.

Then select the Extended/Long/Complete tests

#8 Mortem

Mortem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

I ended up replacing all my RAM and I have not had a problem in days since I did that.

Thanks.

#9 thewebdevil

thewebdevil

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

Great news! Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users