Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I'm endangered in Internet :(

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SecureMichael

SecureMichael

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

This is my 1st post on this Forum - Hello My Name is Michael and I'm from Poland :)

I have a question about security in Internet.
I'm active user of Internet and I have now some anxiety, maybe unjustified, but I have :(

I'm logged in webbrowser on my Google (Gmail) account (sometimes Facebook) and in this time I use other websites:
This is my Question:
Is my activity on these websites (and names of these websites) saving somewhere on servers: google, facebook or others servers information about me?
It worries me if in the future someone will be able to use information to against me (for example I'm talking with some person (not illegal topic for sure) on website discussion, but
maybe someone think that it can harm me and he/she do it, becouse have some reason - maybe I could be problem for him/her :( )
Could someone save information which gives him data who I am exactly and what I did in Internet and information about my Computer too?

Maybe this is stupid etc but trust me I have problem - I think I have 'Internet depression', which is very bothering for me :( Please understand me :)
Could I  use active e-mail, which save this data(about my activity) and could owner of this email server (for example Google, Facebook)  saving this data for ever about me and use it against me when he want?

Thank you very much in advance for help, information, which help me :)

Kind regards, Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

I don't know what you have been doing wrong,

But i think what your asking is can something on the internet be traced back to you.....and the answer is yes

You are no safer doing "something wrong" online, then you are in the real world

Just look up how many people are arrested every year for online crimes.....all of those people probably thought they were safe

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Web tracking has been common for a very, very long time now.  Virtually all modern web browsers have a setting where you can place a "do not track" request when visiting a website but that's what it is, a request.  Some sites honor them and others don't.

I have said, for years and to many people, you should never presume that anything that you do in cyberspace is private - period.  For all practical intents and purposes the vast majority of it is "private enough" but it is not private in the sense that the pre-computer and, particularly, pre-internet person would consider private.  Everything passes through many electronic hands and virtually all of it can be retrieved if circumstances demand it.

If you're not doing anything illegal or that would put someone else in a situation where they would feel threatened, and perhaps try to turn the tables on you, you really have very little to worry about.  I've been surfing through cyberspace since the mid-1980s to no ill effect, particularly since I have never used social media of any sort.  Social media users are putting their private lives (or chunks of them, anyway) on the web for about as public a display as one could ever get.  Many don't think of that and once something has been on the internet, given the rate of archiving, it is effectively eternal if you know where to look.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Is my activity on these websites (and names of these websites) saving somewhere ?

The answer to that question is a definite yes. In most countries in Europe your ISP is required to keep logs of the web-sites you have accessed and logs of emails you have sent and received. They do not store the text of your emails but they are required to keep a log of who you sent them to and received them from and when - the so-called 'metadata' - and they do not log the web pages you visit, merely the URLs of the sites. Different countries require these logs to be kept for different periods, in the UK it is 12 months.

On top of that, the majority of web-sites keep track of who visits them if only for marketing purposes.

As far as the average law-abiding user is concerned this is merely a fact of life and not a matter of great concern but there are ways to minimise the risk if you are really concerned - google for 'Tor' and VPNs as a start. And to really ruin your day, the telephone companies - both landline and mobile - are usually required to keep such logs as well !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users