Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck at time and date prelogin screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shadowfox87

shadowfox87

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

So two days ago, my computer was fully operational. I did a windows update and some driver updates. I may have installed the wrong drivers but it was for Intel Chipset which I downloaded from the Intel website.

Anyways, restarted the computer and ever since, I can't get past the time and date. Note that it boots up just fine. Normally, you can press enter after the time and date screen to display the username and password field but pressing enter does nothing.

So I managed to go into windows 10 recovery. From there I went into troubleshoot->advanced->startup repair. It did it and found nothing. I tried a system restore but it didn't work. I tried to reinstall windows from USB but for some odd reason that didn't work (this is usually my last resort but always works). So then I went into command prompt where it shows me x:/windows. Weird because I clearly remember my windows being installed in c: so I tried cd c: but it still said x:.

I tried the following commands:

net user Administrator /active:yes
sfc /scannow
chkdsk c: /f /r
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

All stated they were completed successfully with no errors found except for "bootrec /fixboot" which said "Access Denied".

So I'm wondering if there is a way I can boot into safe mode with networking to possibly fix my drivers through windows update. The way to access safe mode has changed and you can't simply press f8 during booting anymore. There is only one user account in this windows which I have a fully legal license for. Trying to access safe mode from the recovery gives me this message: "you need to sign in as an administrator to continue, but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC". I'm the only user account since I installed windows on this computer. You would think that they would make me admin by default but no.

So I was wondering if anyone has ideas. Doing a clean install of windows is not what I want to do since I have important files.

I can also access the bios but there's nothing to do there. I'm pretty sure this is a windows 10 issue not a bios one.

If anyone can solve it, I'll pay for help via PayPal. BleepingComputer has helped me in the past so I'm here again.

My specs:
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
Lenovo y510p

Edited by shadowfox87, 17 February 2018 - 07:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

If you see a power option button at all when you click Ctrl -Alt-Delete you can just hold down the shift key while you select Restart. This automatically boots you into safe mode on Win 10.

If you don't see those options at all then in the Recovery options do...

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

After it restarts select either 4 or 5 depending if you want safe mode with or without networking (you will see the options) It will then boot into the option you chose.

#3 shadowfox87

shadowfox87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

I don't see the power button so I can't hold shift and restart. The power button only appears in the bottom right once you are at the login screen that displays username and password. I'm at the prelogin screen before that.

I tried going into safe mode from the recovery start up settings but the it gives me the message: "you need to sign in as an administrator to continue, but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC".

I need a method to start pc in safe mode with networking from the command prompt.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

The only option I can think of at the moment as I don't have your machine in front of me, is to run the following from a cmd prompt

net user administrator /active:yes

this may give you super admin accounts rights to perhaps do the things you are asking to fix your machine. It should be disabled when no longer needed

net user administrator /active:no

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

Hi,

Is your mouse and keyboard USB? If its the case when Windows reaches the pre-login screen disconnect them wait 5s and then connect the again one at a time wait about 5 minutes on that screen and then try the mouse and keyboard to see if they work.

If the mouse and keyboard don't work it could be a problem with USB drivers and you may have to try with a PS2 keyboard to access the system.

Another thing, if you force the machine to power off 3 times without shutdown, Windows should detect that and initiate the Automatic Repair, if you cancel the process it should give you access to Advanced Options where you can select boot in Safe Mode or use System Restore...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 shadowfox87

shadowfox87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

So I was able to get enable legacy mode so that I could press F8 while booting to get into safe mode with networking.

I realized that the problem is that my keyboard and mouse are not being recognized when it gets to the welcome login screen. This is why I can't even type my password. My windows is not corrupted. My drivers are wrong. Even though I was using the mouse and keyboard before in recovery. So most likely I will need to plugin a USB keyboard and mouse unless there is a way to install the keyboard and mouse drivers from USB.

Edited by shadowfox87, 17 February 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Hi, at this stage I would try to restore a previous registry. Windows ten makes a registry backup every 7-10 days it is called regback, it resides in the c:\windows\system32\config folder. We can restore this registry, if it was before your problem it should get you going again.

You need to get back to the RE (recovery environment) it's where you used command prompt and encountered "X:\windows" (your ref).

Once there follow these instructions carefully, note the syntax and copy cmd's exactly as you see here.

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (press enter) the | is called a pipe and is located above the \.

This will return:- osdevice..........partition x (where x is a drive letter, in the RE the OS is not always assigned to the C: drive, typically it will be D: drive, use whatever drive letter the cmd returns, in the following cmd's, we assume D)

Next type:- D: (press enter), the prompt will now be D:\>

Next type:- cd D:\windows\system32\config\regback (press enter), the prompt will change to this directory.

Next type:- Dir (press enter), the contents of the regback file will appear, note the date and be sure that the contents are populated with data (if zero data appears, this will not work, so DO not proceed, if all is OK and the date was before this incident, proceed)

Next type:- copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter), say ALL (press enter) to the overwrite prompt, 5 hives will be copied.

Restart your computer. Let us know how you get on. 

#8 shadowfox87

shadowfox87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hi it's the keyboard and mouse that aren't working. That's why. I was able to boot into safe mode with networking but can't type my password. So the problem isn't corrupted windows. It's my drivers. Is there a way to recover my keyboard and mouse drivers without me having to use an external USB keyboard?
Should I use your method jenae given this information?

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:41 PM

Hi, yes 

#10 shadowfox87

shadowfox87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

Hmm, well I can't access command prompt from recovery because it says "you need to sign in as an administrator to continue, but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC".

I can only access it if I boot from USB where I have windows setup files in that USB. And before you say it, I did do the net user administrator /active:yes command.

So should I just boot from USB and run the commands from the command prompt?

#11 shadowfox87

shadowfox87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

Hey janae 's solution worked!!!

I didn't have to reinstall windows or system restore. I just needed to copy the registry from backup. This allowed my keyboard and mouse drivers to work.

Thank you very much!!

Edited by shadowfox87, 18 February 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing what worked for you.

Just to let you know that depending on how old the registry backup has you may need to reinstall recent programs or adjust again some Windows settings...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

Hi, well the backup is at most one week old, so should not cause too much of a problem. You do need to get recent updates, it should also be mentioned that the underlying problem might still exist. We suggest that sfc/scannow be run, and if errors are returned, further help may be needed. Dism etc... 

This method of restoring a registry backup is not used nearly enough, it will repair many issues, including many malware related problems, if the backup was before the problem began.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users