Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java / Javascript

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sammyd

sammyd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

hi. hope im posting this in the correct place. iv had a browse through similar posts about this but havent really found a solution to my problem.

my javascript isnt working, for things like smilies and on sites such as youtube a message comes up saying

'Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Click here to get the latest flash player.' (iv updtaed to the latest java application)

i think the problem is more than likely linked to something i did earlier today. i got fed up of my norton security for the last time so i removed that and replaced it with AVG free edition and ewido-spyware 4.0 (i found these on the freeware list on here so im guessing they are suitable) iv had a look at the settings of these programs but havent noticed any settings to do with java etc and iv restored the internet options security settings to default, after changing a few settings with no luck.

can anybody point out my problem? iv thorougly scanned my pc with ad-aware and spybot to remove any harmful files etc, are the new securtiy programs im using enough to protect me or is there anything more i should be using?

sorry to post a slightly long double questioned post but id be very grateful if anybody is able to help me

cheers sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

I use both of those programs and as far as I know there is nothing in the free versions that would block script.
I would try deleting all old versions of flash and reinstalling or installing the latest version.
It could be that parts of Norton didn't uninstall. Did you shut down Norton completely and follow their guidelines to uninstall?

go here to get the latest flash player 9:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

To remove flash 8 or 9 you will need this tool:
uninstaller:http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

Edited by buddy215, 01 October 2006 - 01:58 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

thanks for your reply.

iv deleted all the symantec files etc. and deleted the stubborn ones from the registry so i think im clear of norton now. i used that link to uninstall my current flash player, but i cant download the new one. i click the link u provided then click download now and the install instructions come up but nothing downloads and theres nothing to click etc.

i remeber my java not working before and after fiddling with the internet settings i got it working again but this time it doesnt seem to want to work.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

Java recently updated. java 5.0 update 9. Delete your existing Java in Add/Remove and download the latest found here. (4th down on the list for end users.)
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
It sounds like scripts aren't working for some reason and a reinstall might just work. Good luck to you.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

thanks again. but im still having no luck.

could u possibly recommend which settings on the internet options security concern javascript, and what the settings need to be on to allow it.

its strange. iv got the latest java application, my pc is clear of norton, and these two new programs dont affect any settings i cant see what else it can be. could it be anything to do with windows firewall? or maybe my computers infected, do u think its worth creating a hijack this log and posting it?

cheers again

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

I am not aware of Windows firewall causing this problem. I just reread your first post and I am not clear on whether the malware scans you did found any malware or not. If they found something other than cookies I would suggest you do post a Hijack this log. Follow the instructions found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
I don't know if Ewido has a script blocking setting in it but to make sure Ewido is not blocking the script you could stop it from loading at startup and reboot and see if script is still blocked.
As far settings in Internet Options, if you haven't customized the settings then I would just make sure to set to default settings.

#7 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

hello again.

iv posted my hijack this log just waiting for some feedback.

but i was wondering whether its worth doing a system restore to see if i can go back to before the problem??

** iv just visited a website and this message came up

Posted Image

could this be my problem. windows is blocking everything? do u know any way to alter the settings are change anything to stop this?

any help would be cool

Edited by sammyd, 03 October 2006 - 11:00 AM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

I know you are anxious to get this problem resolved and you have posted a Hijack This Log. It is best that you not make any changes to your computer without the guidance of the Hijack This Forum expert. The BC rules are that once a Hijack This Log is posted only the experts are to assist you.

#9 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

ok cool

cheers for all ur help.

#10 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

While you're awaiting HJT help...... did you read this post?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59619/regular-script-errors-on-some-websites/

In my situation, Prob#2 that post was exact same problem you site, I now feel the Java installer was not setting itself up with proper configuration in McAfee FW for all java files requiring Outbound Internet Access to get out. I tried allowing Outbound access to couple other java executables (If I remember right, java.exe and javaws.exe) and the problem stopped! I have not gotten the dreaded error screen since.

I'm still wrestling with Prob#1 on that post. But the FW was clearly to blame for Prob#2 I sited, the same error screen you have been getting. Remember to wait for and work with your HJT helper and only make changes they are recommending. I provide this info merely as additional information.

Regards,

Edited by buttoni, 04 October 2006 - 11:07 AM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#11 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

thanks a lot for your post buttoni. iv checked most of the suggestions in your thread but havent been able to solve it as of yet though.

one thing that i think might be the problem, im unable to download the lastest adobe flashplayer. i go to the download centre (link earlier in the thread) but nothing comes up for me to download, just the installation instruction page comes up. is my problem preventing this from working correctly too do u think? and does anybody know of another way to download the flashplayer, just to see if this is my problem.

i know you have to be patient with the hjt logs (i understand fully that they are very busy), but i posted mine a few days back now. do you think this means nobody can see an immediate problem, or should i just be more patient? iv posted logs in the past and had fairly quick replies.

(this is doing my head in now, mum needs the internet for online banking and at the minute this is preventing that, so im gettin a hard time lol. i was looking to do a system restore but my problem seems to be preventing the restore program from opening aswell)

thanks a lot for all the help, should get it sorted in the end!

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

Please be patient as the HJT helpers are very busy. If you haven't had a reply in five days add a reply in no reply yet topic and paste in the URL to your topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

ok cool

#14 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

hello again. iv found a solution to my problem, i downloaded Opera and through opera i was able to install the new flashplayer. everything works fine using Opera.

the problems still occur in msn explorer and internet explorer but to be honest im not too bothered. (unless im infected which i should find out when my hjt log is looked at).

does anybody use Opera, is there any problems with it or is it a fairly good application to use?

thanks everybody for your suggestions in trying to help me, much appreciated! sorry i got a little impatient at times but damn it was frustrating!!

( and now my smilies work!! :thumbsup: )

cheers people.

sam

#15 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:38 PM

thought id give a little update if anybody is interested,

i just noticed a problem with windows media player so i found this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/54694/how-to-fix-windows-media-player-error-an-internal-application-error-has-occurred/ and putting those .dll files fixed my media player and my internet problems!!!

:thumbsup: thankyou!! this sites saving me lol

(question now though is do i return to using msn explorer or do i stick with Opera?)

** was a bit premature there, i can access my emails and smilies etc work fine, youtube doesnt. but as i said its not a huge problem now that opera has everything working fine.

Edited by sammyd, 06 October 2006 - 03:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users