Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD "Stop Code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" "What failed: win32kfull.sys"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FragmentalStew

FragmentalStew

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

I built this computer back in 2014, though the video card is from a previous machine from 2012 or 2013.  The system can multiboot between Linux, Windows, and OSX.  Windows has been reinstalled multiple times because multiple hard drives have failed.  

This most recent install of Windows 10 will freeze while I'm playing video games.  Most often it happens during Warframe or Quake Champions, because those games push the hardware(or at least the video card) more than other games I have, but I believe it has happened in other games such as Farcry 3 Blood Dragon and Batman Arkham Asylum/City.

Also, I believe I remember the same thing happening in previous installs, though possibly not as often.  I've tried everything I can think of to try to diagnose the problem, but nothing so far has worked.

Most of the time(80-90% maybe?) the computer just freezes and if sound was playing that last second, or less, of sound repeats until I perform a hard shutdown/restart.  However, ocassionally something slightly different will happen.  

Today was the first and and only time I remember seeing an actual blue screen:

The BSOD said:

"Stop Code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA"
"What failed: win32kfull.sys"

My Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qjgG6mYuGCZeIn1hFot3nK0

here's a succinct list of the hardware

* Intel Core i5 4670K
* Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
* 16GB A-Data XPG V2 DDR3 2400
* EVGA Geforce 650 TI SC 2GB
* 256GB OCZ Vertex 450 ssd
* 2TB Seagate SSHD
* 500GB Hitachi HD
* Windows 10, OSX 10.9.5, Mint 18.2
* Corsair CX600M power supply

SysnativeFileCollectionApp stalled at Waiting for Tasks to complete for at at least 10 minutes.
https://i.imgur.com/AK2UKna.jpg
But I ran it a second time and completed with no issues

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thewebdevil

thewebdevil

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

Since win32kfull.sys is related to your graphics and you have an older video card, you may want to start with that.

Try updating your driver or rolling it back if you have the latest one. If that doesn't help, you may be looking at a hardware problem on the video card.

#3 FragmentalStew

FragmentalStew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:55 AM

Since win32kfull.sys is related to your graphics and you have an older video card, you may want to start with that.

Try updating your driver or rolling it back if you have the latest one. If that doesn't help, you may be looking at a hardware problem on the video card.

I've suspected the video card.  I was not aware that win32kfull.sys is related to the graphics.

The crashing has persisted through many, many driver versions.  If it's a hardware problem there's not much I can do to test it because I don't have a second video card and the integrated graphics aren't powerful enough to handle any of the games that cause the system to freeze.  The current market for video cards is not favorable, either.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

The offending program is ShellExperienceHost.exe. Per the Microsoft site these are the recommendations.

Method 1: Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 
    sfc /scannow

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
  3. Select Add an Account.
  4. Enter a user name and hit Next.
  5. Click on Finish.
  6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
  7. Check if issue persists.

#5 FragmentalStew

FragmentalStew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

Thank you both for your responses.

The offending program is ShellExperienceHost.exe. Per the Microsoft site these are the recommendations.

Method 1: Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 
    sfc /scannow

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
  3. Select Add an Account.
  4. Enter a user name and hit Next.
  5. Click on Finish.
  6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
  7. Check if issue persists.

sfc /scannow finished with "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Apparently this version of Windows 10 has some sort of new account creation system where you either "add a family member" or "Add someone else"

The family member system wanted an email address and wouldn't continue without one, so I used "Other people" > "I don't have this person's sign-in information">"Add a user without a microsoft account".

I have to log out to try the new account, so I'm going to post this and either edit this post or create a new one after I've tested it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users