Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Crashes on Start up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jpatt1555

jpatt1555

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:40 AM

Hi, although I don't get the BSOD, I have tried several things to fix this problem.

My computer is custom built by myself.

It has a motherboard by ASRock.

PENRYN1600SLI-110db.

Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

8GB of ram 2DDR.

Video card is Nvidia GeForce GTX 960.

I downloaded a bogus copy of Windows 7 Professional, then went to Microsoft for help last spring. They upgraded me after I got a genuine key to Windows 7 Ultimate.

I got a new CPU Intel Zeon 5472 @3.00GHz  2.96GHz  in Sept. 2017.

8Gb 2DDR ram in Sept. 2017.

Power Supply is Corsair HX620

BIOS- American Megatrends Inc. P1.30  3/28/2008.

Overall age of computer about 5 years.

Firewalls and Protection - Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Spyware Blaster.

Attached Files

Edited by jpatt1555, 17 February 2018 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jpatt1555

jpatt1555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

Hi, here is additional info about the problem.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,989 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

Hi,

2/14/2018 10:15 PM    Application Error    Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.23537, time stamp: 0x57c44efe
Faulting module name: gameux.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18020, time stamp: 0x50c1ebf2
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000004143
Faulting process id: 0x58c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3a5e15cdff1a2
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\gameux.dll
Report Id: 9b41b034-11d4-11e8-bc3a-0019665fa7c5

So WER claims gameux.dll, a Windows file(!) is at fault. I did some research as this is a fairly common problem, with some suggesting the deletion of gameux.dll (which I strongly oppose) or eradicating all of its associated registry entries (just as dangerous). I think the best thing would be to do the obvious: an SFC scan and a clean boot.

:step1: System File Checker

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
sfc /SCANNOW
  • After the scan is finished, you will see one of three things:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
  • If you see either of the two latter messages, please immediately enter the following command:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Then, attach sfcdetails.txt, which is found on your Desktop, in your next reply.

:step2: Clean boot

You may also consider disabling shell extensions with ShellExView by NirSoft to see whether if another shell extension is conflicting.

• Download and save ShellExView from here.
  • Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
  • Open up the extracted folder, right-click on shexview.exe and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • Look at the menu above, click Options and check (click) Hide All Microsoft Extensions.
  • Please disable all NON-Microsoft extensions. :exclame: DO NOT DISABLE ANY MICROSOFT EXTENSIONS!!!
  • Restart your computer and check the results. If the issue is gone, start enabling a few until you can find the culprit.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 jpatt1555

jpatt1555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:01 PM

Sorry, I didn't hear back from anybody for a few days, so I forged ahead and made more problems. The sfc /scannow command only gives me a windows resource protection statement. I deleted some files and some folders, and I am trying to do a clean boot and upgrade. So far with little luck.

Attached File  SFCFix.txt   1.68KB   1 downloads

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.06MB   1 downloads

Edited by jpatt1555, 22 February 2018 - 01:00 AM.

#5 jpatt1555

jpatt1555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

Okay, I just ran sfcfix.exe and it has fixed all the corrupted files on my computer, but I cannot get any updates due to an unresponsive error. Also windows explorer is still stopping on startup.

Attached File  SFCFix.txt   950bytes   3 downloads

#6 jpatt1555

jpatt1555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:49 AM

Hi All, Sorry, but could not log in on my computer at all. I re-installed win 7 twice and still had corrupted files. I finally had to format my hard drive and do a complete re-install. I lost a lot of stuff, but I had to do it. Thanks for the assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users