Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC running abysmally. Hardware failure?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerjoe11

computerjoe11

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:57 AM

Can anyone help me explain why my pc is going potato mode? I've tested multiple games from battlefield 1, witcher 3, payday 2, and many others. I always seem to have like roughly 60 ish fps counted by shadowplay, but the game actually plays like a slideshow despite the fps counter. Attatched is a video of me attempting to play payday 2. My cpu usage was about 50~ish% the whole time, and gpu usage about 40-60%. 

I'm using an i5 6500 and founders gtx 1060. Any answers would be appreciated, the settings were all the way on low too by the way. I've had better fps using an athlon cpu and hd 7750 back in the day :( Maybe something I have to replace to fix this? 

Amazing payday 2 gameplay:

Edit: My speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/iZK7Q3EtS0meZthNGPvtGgb (mobo temp obviously wrong, actually 30 degrees in bios)

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2018 - 09:05 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Harddware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hello computerjoe11,

Only thing that I am seeing in Speccy is that you are seriously low of free storage space on the C: partition where Windows lives;

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt and/or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack, 

Partition 1
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #1
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 24BBCA4A
Size: 110 GB
Used Space: 98 GB (89%)
Free Space: 12.1 GB (11%)

120GB is too small for a boot device tbh and a 250 to 256GB for Windows and a few of your most often used programs would have been better.

Not sure what else is on your C: drive other than Windows but you need to free up a minimum of 15GB on it, more would be better to allow for future updates but 15GB is a start.

#3 computerjoe11

computerjoe11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Ok thanks for the advice. I agree that it's too small and I've been thinking of bumping up my storage anyway. I'll free up some space when I get home and see how it goes.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

@ PhilPower2 #2

Only thing that I am seeing in Speccy is that you are seriously low of free storage space on the C: partition where Windows lives;

No disagreement with that statement at all, 12GB free space is, being kind, border line. But perhaps, given the wide range of hard drive sizes, it would be better to say you need 20 - 25GB free for optimum performance. I used to have my C:\ drive on a 1TB hard drive, it is now on a 500GB one and 20% even of that would be 100GB.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:02 AM

@ PhilPower2 #2

No disagreement with that statement at all, 12GB free space is, being kind, border line. But perhaps, given the wide range of hard drive sizes, it would be better to say you need 20 - 25GB free for optimum performance. I used to have my C:\ drive on a 1TB hard drive, it is now on a 500GB one and 20% even of that would be 100GB.

Chris Cosgrove

Makes complete sense on a 120GB SSD  :thumbup2:

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

Y'know, as a full-time Linux user nowadays (and for quite some time), I never understand this. Can somebody explain to me why Windows needs so much darn space to itself?

Most of my 'Puppies' run on 10 GB partitions.....and at that, over 50% of the partition is always free.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users