Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bluestone

bluestone

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

This problem has plagued me since I first got my new computer w/ Windows XP Home.

I have a wireless connection to a dsl service(Linksys Wireless :thumbsup:. I will boot up my computer, and the wireless connection will be made. In a very short time, I lose my connection to the internet. Upon looking at my wireless connection my computer tells me everything is working fine. The Linksys program tells me that I am connected to the router and to the internet. I will open the Network Connections dialog box, and it tells me that I am connected.

However, I notice that the Wireless Connection 4 line moves from the top of the list to the bottom of the list . (There are 3 entries.) Most often, if I request the connection to be repaired, this takes place and then I am good for the rest of the day. On occassion, however, when I request repair, the dialog box that details the actions being taken will freeze on "diablein connection". At this point I do a soft reboot. This proceeds until the the screen that says "shutting your computer down." Here is freezes. The only thing I can do is turn off the computer for a hard reboot.

Any ideas on this nuisance?

Ben Mahmoud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

Are you using this: Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router as your router?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

I had a similair problem like that with my D-Link. Whenever i hit repair the computer would crash and it wouldnt boot until i killed the power bar. I had never found out the cause though.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:57 PM

Why are there 4 wireless connections?

#5 bluestone

bluestone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

Orange Blossom, you asked if I were using a G router. I am using a B router. For some reason this software inserted a smiley face (I never use them) when I typed "B"...

Enthusiast, I have 3 connections. One is the Linksys B router, and the second is a LAN connection to another computer, and the third is called "1394 connection" that is disabled. Have no idea what this is or where it came from.

Ben

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

The 1394 connection is for a Firewire connection. Probably a funny looking plug on the front of the computer that you've never used.

Since USB works so well for me, I haven't seen the need for a Firewire device - so I don't use mine either and it's disabled.

Are these other connections "bridged"? If so, that may be a part of the problem. Try removing the network bridge to see if it fixes the problems.

Finally, I'd suggest that you unplug the connection to the other PC and plug that PC into the router. Then you'll be able to disable the other LAN connection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:03 AM

I would suggest you use the "make a new wireless connection" wizard in your control panel to establish your connection to the router and once it is working delete the other connection, and of course make sure it isn't bridged as usasma advised.

#8 bluestone

bluestone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

I do not have any bridged connections. I have tried running XP on the new machine w/out the other connected via LAN. Same problem. I have made a new wireless connection several times to no avail. Same problem.

It is a puzzler.

Ben

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:46 PM

What is the full name of the router? It might be that there is something specific to that router that is causing the problem, just as their is with the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router. Lynksys what Wireless-B Router?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:00 AM

Try connecting the DSL modem directly to the computer and see if you still have the problem.

If that cures the problem it's in the router or dongle or whatever.

If it doesn't - the problem is in the DSL modem or the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users