Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

going to fully test the best distro. going to do a dual-install with win10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 computerbroken

computerbroken

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

going to fully test the best distro. going to do a dual-install with win10. 

need well thought out recommendations. im going to pick the one that has the most detailed outline/explanation

im looking for an os that has better design than win10 
the #1 thing im looking for is good design

=== full details / summary of design requirements sorted/ranked by relative importance (has to be overall better design than win10): ===

if some of these are done by a 'DE', please just helpfully mention based on your personal experience which 'DE' does what
and is most helpful for these few things below

**good design is helpful**

clean visible switching windows -

in win10, when you switch windows (say 10 chrome windows) it shows:
1. the title (very clearly)
2. and an overview/screenshot of the window
icon of software is not important but haven't tested without

linux needs do something equal or more helpful than this
good design is helpful & clear

**good design is in-built & good defaults**

easy simple effective volume control - 

in win10, when you hover to the bottom, you can up/increase/down/decreaee the volume via the scroll wheel. this is universal anywhere like when fullscreen on youtube
this is an external software

linux needs do something equal or in-built, or helpful than this
good design is good defaults

**good design is having customisable options when lacking good defaults**

change all frequently used shortcuts/hotkeys - 

linux has to able to change the 'default/in-built' shortcuts like for fullscreen. f11 is not easily accessible or usable, and is not on the left side of the keyboard
good design is having customisable options when lacking good defaults

**good design includes everything learned & known about good spatial design - presentation of info**

good spatial usage of screen space -

in win10, 'the bar thing at the bottom of the screen with the software icons' can auto-hide. when hovered, it shows 

linux has to do something equal or better or more helpful
good design includes everything learned & known about good spatial design - presentation of info

**good design is good usability**

easy simple way to download -

in win10, 
1. you google something, 2. you click on link, 3. then click download, 4. done

linux needs to be something equally simple to be able to download any software that works on linux, or better
good design is good usability

**good design is good usability**

in win10, every time you install or update a software/app, you have to put in a pw every single time
you also do not need to have a pw on startup/login

ilinux has to be equal or better

**good design is good internals**

auto-clean junk -

in win10, when software is uninstalled, it leaves behind 'program start' files and empty folders that all should've been removed
there is a setting to auto-delete the 'downloads' folders after 1-30 days

this is not a problem in chromeos

linux has to do all these things equal or better
good design is good internals

=== the above are necessary, the following are optional ===

**good design is good visual design**

linux should be able to have different 'desktop background/wallpaper' on different 'desktops/virtual desktops'?

=== other notes: ===

* security doesn't make anything better, but it can prevent bad things which occurs .0001% of the time, and is focused on corporations
* viruses are commonly in emails but gmail takes care of that so worries

interpretations notes:

* if a post does not directly/plainly say that a dual-boot ever been done, then we do not assume that they have ever installed a dual-boot 

being helpful notes:

* i have a lot more urgent & important things to take care of
* if this is more trouble than it's worth, please just let me know
* maybe i'll post/ask later this year or next year

=== physical requirements: ===

* has to be able to be installed via a <2gb usb
* or live cd (if things are saved, and it doesnt slow down performance)

* computer for the dual-boot: Dell Inspiron 17R-N7110

--

good design is about the positives for the common actions that are done. if it's a niche thing, or infrequent, it's likely isn't important

the #1 thing im looking for is good design

good design makes things better. bad design hurts you.

Edited by computerbroken, 16 February 2018 - 06:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

I just installed Zorin OS 12.2 on my second lappy, it's quite amazing, it has the hover feature for the window view. and i could tell you all the amazing things about it but check it out for yourself

https://zorinos.com/

Also Zorin is Debian based so it makes it that much easier to operate.

Side-note: to really find the best os for you will take some time, i spent months and months trying new distros before i found one i loved (Linux Mint)

Edited by Viper_Security, 16 February 2018 - 06:30 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

Well judging things based on your demands it seems like this is a job for Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit!

Because:

in win10, when you switch windows (say 10 chrome windows) it shows:
1. the title (very clearly)
2. and an overview/screenshot of the window
icon of software is not important but haven't tested without

linux needs do something equal or more helpful than this
good design is helpful & clear

Check! Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit has this

easy simple effective volume control - 

in win10, when you hover to the bottom, you can up/increase/down/decreaee the volume via the scroll wheel. this is universal anywhere like when fullscreen on youtube
this is an external software

linux needs do something equal or in-built, or helpful than this
good design is good defaults

Check! Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit has this

change all frequently used shortcuts/hotkeys - 

linux has to able to change the 'default/in-built' shortcuts like for fullscreen. f11 is not easily accessible or usable, and is not on the left side of the keyboard
good design is having customisable options when lacking good defaults

Check! Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit has this

good spatial usage of screen space -

in win10, 'the bar thing at the bottom of the screen with the software icons' can auto-hide. when hovered, it shows 

linux has to do something equal or better or more helpful
good design includes everything learned & known about good spatial design - presentation of info

Check! Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit has this (though by default Linux Mint 18 more resembles windows vista without a icon based taskbar but there is a extension for this functionality from the community)

easy simple way to download -

in win10, 
1. you google something, 2. you click on link, 3. then click download, 4. done

linux needs to be something equally simple to be able to download any software that works on linux, or better

Check! Cinnamon has this

Though it should be known that software installation in linux is completely different then windows.

You dont go to ever website fort every software as most of the software are in the repositories (sort of the app store on a iphone or google play on android)

Only some software in linux is done "the windows way" like google chrome for example which is not in the linux mint repositories due to legal reasons.

in win10, every time you install or update a software/app, you have to put in a pw every single time
you also do not need to have a pw on startup/login

ilinux has to be equal or better

Check! Cinnamon has this as does linux in general

auto-clean junk -

in win10, when software is uninstalled, it leaves behind 'program start' files and empty folders that all should've been removed
there is a setting to auto-delete the 'downloads' folders after 1-30 days

this is not a problem in chromeos

linux has to do all these things equal or better
good design is good internals

Check! Cinnamon has this as does linux in general

linux should be able to have different 'desktop background/wallpaper' on different 'desktops/virtual desktops'?

Check! though you will have to use a extension for this (cinnamon uses community extensions for a lot of things plus there is plenty of things in the linux world to do this if not by default)

=== physical requirements: ===

* has to be able to be installed via a <2gb usb
* or live cd (if things are saved, and it doesnt slow down performance)

Now this is the only area where your criteria is not met.

A live image is big and you will need a DVD or a thumb drive larger than 2GB.

But this should not be a deal breaker, DVD's are cheap, USB thumb drives are cheap.

If you dont have a DVD drive those are cheap but I checked your hardware based on the model you gave us and you should have at the very least a DVD burner.

And USB drives? come on you can go to a best buy or whatever etailer you can to get one of those, dont be so lazy with outdated media like a CD

In any case Linux Mint cinnamon is right up your alley:

Edited by MadmanRB, 16 February 2018 - 09:20 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

i dnot want to clutter up the main goal 

but quickly, a sub/minor question, im pretty sure mint is (or was) <2gb usb install?

cos it completely destoryed a lenovo laptop (and had various problems before it was destoryed) -- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/654038/cant-boot-from-usb-so-using-unetbootin/

but this is duel boot on a dell so it wont matter since it can just be uninstalled

hopefully others have diff distro experriences and are able to appropriately recommend

Edited by computerbroken, 16 February 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

Unetbootin has had some issues, i normally dont reccomend it.

Instead I reccomend etcher:

https://etcher.io

Edited by MadmanRB, 16 February 2018 - 10:57 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:10 AM

Seems to me you want Linux to be like Windows.

Linux is different, why should it want to be like Windows. If you want a Windows like experience then stick with Windows.

Linux is not Windows, nor should it ever be. It is a discrete and separate Operating System, with its own ways of doing things, and although in some distros there may be some surface similarities with Windows, fundamentally they are very very different.

Rather than trying to "import" your ideas of what good design are, it might be better if you just accepted the fact that the two are not the same, and embrace those differences, and learn to see that the Windows way of doing things is not necessarily the best way ........ it's just the way you're most familiar and therefore most comfortable with.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:18 AM

Good Design.....is a bit like Beauty......it is all in the eye of the beholder.

In other words, what represents good design to you....may well be the pits to me.....and just so so to someone else.

If you are going to install Linux ....do so.  Then you can comment on the 'design' if you feel you need to.

"

the #1 thing im looking for is good design".......................make up your own mind...install it as a 'live' version, and see what you think. Then come back and tell us your opinion.

Dont turn this into another 98 post/seven page debacle.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:44 AM

sorry to not be clear, but this post is meant for those experienced in linux distros and understand good design, which is listed at top in the main post

and has well-thought out recommendations 

thank to the helpful ones

we all should try to be helpful by helping others understand the basics of good design --> http://joelcalifa.com/blog/how-i-got-hired-by-github/

Edited by computerbroken, 17 February 2018 - 05:59 AM.

#9 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

do not spam my post or clutter up my post with nonsensical comments, and be polite, thanks

Edited by computerbroken, 17 February 2018 - 06:14 AM.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:20 AM

Just so you know....your 'quote' box is empty..

and bearing in mind the fact that two Moderators called it quits on your last 'offering'....I think you really need to "raise the bar" after that effort.

I will no longer bother you.

Hope that helps you feel better

btw if your intention is to start a long discussion about the trivialities of OS design, then your topic would be best suited to have a "DISCUSSION" label beside the topic title.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

From the Forum Rules -

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

This is very obviously an 'opinion' topic and remarks like that made in #9 come close to breaching this rule. Condobloke's opinion is as valid as yours. If this level of discussion continues this topic will be closed.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:30 AM

hey you had recomemnded mint over the other distros you've used. for only some of the things, you also mentioned linux in general does some of them

for window switching, i've used it in the past, and it did not show the full title of chrome windows, and it's defintley shorter than win10 (i just checked also)

which means it did not show the title clearly, so im pretty worry that you had given that one a check

--

it also appears the autohide is optional in mint, and no extension is actually needed, tho you had said an extension was needed...

--

one of the biggest concerns overall tho is that nothing was mentioned about anything being done better than win10, macos, they all seem to be equal or lesser, im specifically looking for something that does the things listed in the main better than win10

if not why switch to linux or mint or any other distros you know?

Edited by computerbroken, 17 February 2018 - 06:57 AM.

#13 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

do not spam my post or clutter up my post with nonsensical comments, and be polite, thanks

Edited by computerbroken, 17 February 2018 - 06:33 AM.

#14 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

Zorin

sorry you suggested before i finsihed editing the main post

i cant find any balanaced reviews or analyssi of this thing

and none of the reputable sites has any reviews on this thing

Edited by computerbroken, 17 February 2018 - 07:03 AM.

#15 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Firstly, lemme bring this message to your attention, having noticed you started an identical thread on a sister forum (TSF). Secondly, I have to agree with Condobloke about "good design" being like beauty. I think you should get in knee deep and actually TRY out the different distros (there are many) offered, after all, experience is the best teacher and when it comes to "opinion" subjects such as this, I strongly recommend forming your own opinion after trials and tests. Some people did quit Windows long ago when Linux was HELL to setup, back then when most things were done via command-line & console applications and Windows had a GUI for just about everything you'd normally do, and they strongly believed Linux was better than whatever Windows was offering. They were and still are in their own right, right to hold that belief as long as Linux suits their needs and meets their tastes and preferences.

You have a checklist of preferences, which is good because it shows you know what you're looking for, so why don't you use it as criteria to actually test and assess the distros suggested here and wherever else you may look? I get the feeling that you're trying to skip the testing and trials part and hopefully get a spot-on answer from someone else, but that'll unlikely happen because your perception of good design is not the same as someone else's. Windows XP had a great design when it came out, and some people still swear by it. Windows Seven was just as welcome and many people still use it today. Every year I try out new releases of Ubuntu, Mint as well as relatively new flavours such as Elemental OS, thanks to virtualization technology, and every time I settle back to Mint (Mate) as my main distro because it tickles my fancy better than Cinnamon or whatever other flavour there is.  There is also the very real possibility that you won't find a single distro that passes ALL your criteria, and you will have to settle for something and trade off another, but the best part of it all is having that wide range of choices and getting to keep none or as many as you want! This is not a black or white subject matter, so be tolerant of responses that do not give you the absolute answer you seek, lest you be shunned from these great online communities and left to walk it alone. Even if you migrated to some other community or changed appearances, a foul attitude still stinks and won't get you any hugs.

Get testing. There's a large world out there waiting for you to just "peek".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users