Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is "conimex.exe"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

I've just noticed it listed in Task Mgr. using zero CPU and 60K memory.

Not sure if it's always been there, uploaded to "Jotti" and was cleared, just run full Mbam and SAS scans and nothing found.

Odd thing is, a Google search returned this:- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/conime.exe-18378.html in the first few results which scared me!

"Superuser" recon it's used by Windows when support for Asian languages is enabled.

What's the truth?? :unsure:

Edited by six-h, 16 February 2018 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

I looked at my system.  I don't have conime.exe in \Windows\System32, but it'd there in Windows\SysWOW64, a 67.5  KB file, file version 6.0.6002.18005, dated 4/10/2009, copyright Microsoft, described as "Console IME".   That's on a Vista x64 Sp2 system.   FWIW, it's not in  my Windows 7 x64 system, in either location.  Neither MS Security Essentials (Win 7) nor Malwarebytes Antimalware (Vista) found anything objectionable.

My guess is, it's a legitimate Vista program and not a problem.  You might, for curiosity sake, use the MSCONFIG command, or some utility like the Startup Manager in Glary Utilities, to determine what programs run when you boot up, and see if conime.exe is one of them.  Switch it off if it appears, and see what impact it has on your system, 

#3 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for your reply, the details you mention are the same for my version.

The funny thing is that it doesn't appear in either msconfig or Services.msc I've just had to "End Process" it in Task Manager.

...and the world hasn't ended.

...yet!

Edited by six-h, 16 February 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

Hi six-h:

Is the"conimex.exe" in your subject line a typo?  If you mean C:\Windows\System32\conime.exe that's the Microsoft Console IME (Input Method Editor). On my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine conime.exe loads into memory after I open a DOS command prompt (cmd.exe) and remains loaded after the command prompt is closed.

I prefer to use Microsoft Sysinternal's free Process Explorer instead of Task Manager and my Process Explorer is configured to automatically submit all running processes to VirusTotal.com (Options | VirusTotal.com | Check VirusTotal.com).  The conime.exe that loads after I open a command prompt has a detection rating of 0/65 on VirusTotal (i.e., all 65 antivirus scan engines find the file is not suspicious).

Attached File  Process Explorer Vista SP2 conime_exe.png   30.89KB   0 downloads

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * Process Explorer v16.21

Edited by lmacri, 16 February 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#5 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

lol, Imacri!
Just reading the email notification before surrendering to the arms of Morpheus, I didn't notice the respondent's name but instantly knew it was you!
So brilliantly helpful and knowledgeable as always.

Yes, your'e right, "conimex" was indeed a typo; brain thinking faster than fingers were typing.
...with my typing skills, even my old grey cells appear positively Mercurial!

Thanks for the tip regarding "Processes Explorer", I do have it installed but never quite got used to it.
I had no idea it could be programmed to do such tasks, interesting!

I'm making slow progress in getting used to W10, hopefully soon I will "retire" my Vista machine completely so probably won't switch to Processes Explorer on that machine, will it run on Win 10?
If so, I think I'll have to learn how to use it properly.

Have you got yourself a nice new machine yet?

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:36 AM

Hi six-h:

Process Explorer is compatible with all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows (Vista and higher) but once you're familiar with the new Task Manager in Win 10 you'll find it has more features than the old Vista / Win 7 version.  How-To Geeks posted an overview of the re-vamped Task Manager at How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10.

Anyone who wants to try Process Explorer can download the ProcessExplorer.zip file from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer and save it to any folder or location you wish.  Once that .zip archive is unzipped all you have to do is double-click procexp.exe (32-bit OS) or procexp64.exe (64-bit OS) to run the program - no installation required.  My post # 6 in Kayla77's thread Processes in Task Manager During Updates describes how I used Process Explorer a few years ago to identify that the Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll) was responsible for the excessive CPU consumption by one instance of the Windows Services host process svchost.exe on my Vista SP2 computer.

Attached File  WU PE svchost wuauserv 14 Apr 2016.png   60KB   0 downloads

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS Premium v22.12.0.104 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * Process Explorer v16.21

#7 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for that advice Imacri, not yet delved into the Task Manager in Win 10 ...still trying to get comfortable with the basics!
For instance, I've just discovered that it's storing "everything and it's dog" on the "C:" drive which is a 256GB SSD and totally ignoring the 2TB SSHD intended to accommodate anything other than the OS.
Seems that "moving" the stock folders is fraught with problems and the more I read the more confusing it seems to become!
...Lots more reading to do I'm afraid. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users