Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet dropout

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

My dial up connection keeps dropping out  at intermittent times- sometimes it won't connect for 4 or 5 tries. It may stay connected for 5 seconds or 5 hours. I always get a "connection has timed out " error, FW Portal.exe,Kernal 32 is the error, I have checked all my connections.spliter,cables ,etc. Download speed varies from 26Kps down to 16 or so, Is this an operating system issue or an internet provider issue? How do I troubleshoot this issue? thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:39 AM

It's commonly an issue with the phone line. Do you have a standard phone using the landline service? If so, have the computer off or the internet cable disconnected and listen on the phone after pressing a single digit button. You will be hearing the line circuit, if there is crackling, popping or buzzing/humming audible, or you hear other conversations, then report a line fault to your phone provider. Describe the fault you hear on the phone as disrupting phone conversations, don't mention the internet problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for response Platypus. I didn't know about the line test. Tried that and line was as clear as a bell. However the message"if you would like to make a call' afterwards was very garbled-don't know if that is important. My phone used to go out about once a year or so but has been fine lately. The varying connection speed makes me think it may be the line though. Would changing phone companies resolve the issue-I have AT&T now. Been thinking about changing to try and save some money. I just wish there was a definitive test. thanks again

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

If I recall, XP had a program called hyperterminal I think in the accessories menu

Use that to dial your ISP

This used to be the line noise test that I found in my archive:

To test the connection, use the terminal communications program to call your ISP. When you're connected, enter three plus signs (+++). Then issue the AT%Q command. The modem will return a number between 1 and 127, which indicates the level of noise currently on the line. A reading of 15 or lower means you're in good shape regarding line noise, so the problem probably lies elsewhere. A reading of 50 is high enough to put you in danger of getting disconnected.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Thank's for your response BC advisor but I don't have hyperterminal in my accessories menu and I don't have the terminal communications program either. All I have is the ability to ping or trace google.com. under technician tools. I do have mini-toolbox and other utilities, I have tried some speed test programs but they are mainly for high speed internet not dial-up. Is there a good dial-up tester out there somewhere? thanks

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

It may ask for your XP install disk. 

• Open the Control Panel.
  • Double click Add/Remove Programs
  • Click Add/Remove Windows Components
  • Click Accessories and Utilities. Then click Details
  • Click Communications. Then click Details.
  • Check the box next to HyperTerminal. Click OK.

It will be under Accessories > Communications

#7 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

Sorry john_C21 but I don't have communications under accessories in control panel. I do have service pack 3 but I may not have gotten all the updates. Can I find this on the Windows site or anywhere else. Thanks for the help. I would love a definitive test!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear. After installing hyperterminal it will be located under Accessories > Communincations in your Start Menu location, not Control Panel. To install:

• Open the Control Panel.
  • Double click Add/Remove Programs
  • Click Add/Remove Windows Components
  • Click Accessories and Utilities. Then click Details
  • Click Communications. Then click Details.
  • Check the box next to HyperTerminal. Click OK.

Or did you do the above steps and you still have no hyperterminal?

uninstall-windows-components.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 February 2018 - 06:27 PM.

#9 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

When I try to connect hyperterminal from start,accessories menu it says no dial tone and it doesn't show up in add/remove programs in control panel. I entered Localneteasydialer and the phone # (3767275) in connection description. What am I doing wrong? It says new connection. In control panel it won't show any details. thanks again. By the way I should have known to look under accessories for the program but there is a lot of stuff there.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

I have no experience with Hyperterminal to diagnose problems. It has been such a long time since I used it. Hopefully Eyesee can answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users