Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BarraCuda Pro ST2000DM009 - Spec. Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rhydgaled

Rhydgaled

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

I need to buy a new hard drive and clone my old one onto it (because the old one is corrupted and I don't want to risk an operation like chkdsk (which would write to the drive) on the original). The reasons for the clone are detailed elsewhere on this forum here, where I am already being helped by some of the kind pepole on this forum.

Since the drive I need to clone holds a copy of Windows XP, I've been looking for a 2TB drive (the max. XP supports I believe) with 512 byte sectors (XP predates Advanced Format I believe, and doesn't support even 512e drives). I also want the new drive to be a least as fast as the old one was (it was a 7200rpm drive), so my video editing software etc. runs smoothly as it did before. The drive in the topic title (Seagate's BarraCuda Pro ST2000DM009) seemed to fit the bill, but I have some queries about certain details of the drive.
  • Is this really a 512 native drive? Seagate's data sheet for the BarraCuda Pro series lists all the drives as having 512 byte sectors, but I have seen at least one of the larger models (12TB or 10TB) listed for sale as a 512e Advanced Format drive, so the data sheet might be incorrect.
  • Is this drive suitable for stand-alone use (ie. not in a RAID)? (I ask because the 'Pro' in the title leads me to worry that this might be an 'Enterprise' model with TLER/ERC enabled).
  • When was this model released? My hope is that it is new enough that Seagate have fixed whatever it was that made some of their BarraCuda drives rather unreliable (somebody sued Seagate I believe).
Are there any other important factors in selecting a hard drive to buy (for an old PC) which I may have overlooked?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

1. Yes. See page 4 of the manual.

2. Yes. 

3. Not sure. Contact Seagate. I think Oct or Nov 2016 per the manual.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

1. Yes. See page 4 of the manual.

Interesting.  Must be one of the few 512 byte native drives they still make.  According to this briefing, all new drives released after 2011 were expected to be Advanced Format.

I haven't got any of the Barracuda Pro models, but I do have a 2 Tb ST2000DM001 and a 3 Tb ST3000DM001, and they are both Advanced Format (512e).

My understanding is the Barracuda Pro models are marketed to the high end desktop sector (creative professionals etc.), and feature a longer warranty than the non Pro models.  They are not intended for use in servers (although the bumf does say they can can be used in "Home servers" which honestly any old drive can be).

Edited by jonuk76, 20 February 2018 - 05:25 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users