Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Diagnostics - Where/how is the best place to start?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

Hello All,

This post isn't about a specific BSOD, but about how one might go about getting some idea of what is actually causing one.  This is an area that is, for the most part, a black box for me.  In the past (and, almost certainly, in the future) I have turned here for help but I would like to know if anyone has suggestions for DIY diagnosis "for the beginner."  I would presume that there are a number of utilities out there, I know I've used BSOD Inspector and Nirsoft's BlueScreenView in the relatively distant past and, I believe the Sysnative BSOD collection application.  All of those were to generate reports for others to analyze.

If there's a good place for those who'd like to start learning about analyzing what's causing a BSOD to do just that, I'd love recommendations.  This is not time constrained for me in any way, so additions to this thread at anyone's leisure will be most appreciated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

Hi Brian,

I'm pretty much a novice on the topic of BSODs, but I've found the following resources to be useful ...

http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681381(v=vs.85).aspx
https://www.briandunning.com/error-codes/?source=Windows
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/9242-debugging-tutorial-index.html

Hope they help.

No doubt others here with more experience will be able to offer you more constructive help.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Gary.  This is the sort of thing I was hoping for, along with a "what you learn along the way that no one really teaches you at the outset" sort of things.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

First, keep in mind that BSOD analysis is very hard and requires tremendous patience. I recommend starting by some introductory videos from Defrag Tools. If I remember correctly, episodes 15-29 comprises their series about kernel debugging.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defrag-Tools/Defrag-Tools-15-WinDbg-Bugchecks

In order to get proficient, knowledge of OS internals is an absolute must, so be prepared to read Windows Internals from cover to cover. (The 6th edition covers Windows 7 internals; the 7th edition covers Windows 10, but only the first of the three volumes has been released.) Get a searchable e-book version for easy reference, though the last time I checked a university published both volumes of the 6th edition in a PDF for free!

At the same time, I would also suggest getting familiar x86/x64 assembly and C (which by the way I am a noob at :P); most importantly however, start reading through BSOD posts (old and new) here at BC and other forums like Sysnative in your free time.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

Thanks bwv848.   As I suspected, there is not really any "quick and dirty" BSOD diagnostic method.

If I ever touch assembly language again it will be too soon!!  The only thing that was worse was LISP.

I was a programmer in C for many years, and can still look at C code and understand what's going on if "what's going on" isn't insanely complex.  It's very easy to go "bottom up" to understanding what's happening conceptually to a point, but when the high-level design is, in and of itself, wildly complex, that method doesn't work very well.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

Here is a link to a very helpful 9 part video tutorial on analyzing BSODs.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Henry.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users