Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP resets after PC has been assembled

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sc0tt1

Sc0tt1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hello,

I fired quite an old PC with 800Mhz clock. I dismantled the whole PC into parts, and after folding XP, it started to restart when it was loaded. I have enabled XP from the CD and CMD chkdsk C: / f, then "r" and nothing works.

1. For some reason, in one place the OS see FS and in another it does not even recognize the C partition as healthy.

2. When trying to enter C: from the level of the OS it wants the format.

3. Chkdsk from the level of mini xp and cmd does not fire.

4. The "Troubleshooting" option also does not work.

5.  I can view the contents of C in DOS

An interesting case. What could have happened after reassembling the PC?

Regards

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VBCONZ

VBCONZ

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:05 AM

1 - Have you changed any parts out? This can freak Win XP out.

2 - Try running Memtest86 (available on any linux disk - i like TRK personally) and also a disk checker ( maybe tufftest http://www.tufftest.com/ ) to see there are no memory or disk issues. That can cause funny things to happen.

Don't run the tufftest memory test - I've found it is not as good as memtest8x. but their disk checks are awesome.

Windows and DOS are different in their windows permissions and where they read info from. Success in one is no guarantee in the other.

What format is the disk? both DOS and Windows report no format on it. Which can show a messed up partition table.  you may need to recover the fat from the backup table or just do a data recovery and rebuild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users