Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant run .exe files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 enienea

enienea

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

Hi everyone..Im currently using asus notebook f3sr that is pretty old must say...and almost a week ago the screen of death appeared...since i hadnt a disc i booted it using f10+f11 and it worked fine..started up continued working better than it used to..but i noticed that i couldnt open .exe files..ive tried doing anything from what ive seen online and still nothing would work..by mistake an .exe file I opened it with word..now all my apps start with word and cant start, even chrome.

Please help me fix this issue..I would appreciate if anyone has a solution to it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

An idea would be to copy your files onto a usb stick then do a factory recovery.  If you are unable to save your files hopefully help will come!

If you can save your stuff then read the info below, your laptop will run like new,

http://support.asus.com.cn/troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=f3sr&p=3&s=78&os=&hashedid=rbcnemgd99p1mfa8&no=1775

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 enienea

enienea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

Hi thanks for the reply. Just like i said above i dont have the disc to do the factory recovery. is there any other way to solve it?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

Do you know that you model does or does not have a recovery partition?

#5 enienea

enienea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

no dude i dont know..as i said its an old pc and being old the recovery disc might have been thrown long time ago

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Why not try the information in the link to see if it does have a partition????

#7 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

Sounds like you have some file association errors.  Try this:  Click on the START button.  Select CONTROL PANEL.  Select PROGRAMS.  Pick

DEFAULT PROGRAMS, on the right panel.  Select "Make a File Type Always Open in a Specific Application,"   Wait a minute or two for things to appear on the screen -- there'll be a couple hundred entries.   Look at the right hand column, "Current Default", to see which filetypes are associated with Word, and change them as appropriate.

Alternately, if Windows Explorer is working for you, right click on a few things, look for  "Open with ,,," in the menu, and try to persuade some types of files that they want to open up for applications you've selected -- AVI files might go to VLC Player, that sort of thing -- rather than Word. 

Either tactic ought to win back a little control of your system.  And think a bit about making a good solid backup you can easily restore,  or a restore point that you can fall back on the next time you get into trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users