Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Remove Ubuntu From BIOS Startup?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 dem_crumblies

dem_crumblies

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post my issue, but I figured I would try here before I post in the Windows 8.1 forum.

This is the situation.

- I have a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10 that came preloaded with Windows 8.1.

- My computer harddrive gave up, so before I attempted to replace it with a new hard drive, I created a Ubuntu live USB Drive.

- I booted the computer with the Ubuntu Live Drive in an attempt to retrieve files from the Hard drive before I replaced it.

- I bought a new hard drive, installed it and I can see it recognized in the BIOS.

- When I boot the computer up, it says no boot device detected and automatically restarts (expected since the new HD has nothing on it)

- I change BIOS settings to boot from USB drive and insert my USB Drive containing Windows 8

- The computer no longer displays the no boot drive detected, and instead asks for the name of the USB Ubuntu Live drive

- The computer does not boot from ANY USB drive unless it is the drive that contains Ubuntu on it.

- I tried to go into the BIOS and load default setup, but still no issue. Another issue I see is that when I disable USB boot and save the settings. Once the computer restarts and I check the BIOS to ensure the change has been made, it is still set to USB boot enabled. I know I am making the change correctly because other settings seem to keep... it is strange.

I guess my question is, did I somehow mess up my boot records or something where the computer is only looking for the Ubuntu Live USB Drive? When I plug the Windows USB drive in, I know it detects it, but it still asks for the USB drive containing Ubuntu only.

I'm stumped right now, because I cannot install anything on the new HD. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dem_crumblies

dem_crumblies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

Update... I think I may have found an answer to the issue. This thread mentions that certain Lenovo computers are prone to BIOS issues with Linux.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/666146/installing-ubuntu-1710-bricks-many-lenovo-laptops/?hl=%2Bubuntu+%2Bbios#entry4409843

I will try the fix suggested in the comment at the end to see if that resolves my issue.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

Maybe will help as the instructions are a little clearer.

http://dailylinuxuser.com/2018/01/how-to-fix-your-bios-after-installing-ubuntu-17-10-on-a-lenovo-laptop.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 February 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#4 dem_crumblies

dem_crumblies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

Wow that link is much better, thanks John! I appreciate that.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Y'know, that's quite comical, actually.

Reading the following article to the one John linked to, 'Who Was To Blame For The Ubuntu BIOS Bug?', it seems that the muck-slinging was occurring in all directions, from Canonical, to the laptop manufacturers, the BIOS developers, the people who sell Linux magazines with OS discs included.....even the users.

Personally, I'm inclined to put the blame for this one squarely at Canonical's feet. Noooo, they can't possibly use the standard kernel from kernel.org, they have to de-compile, faff about and modify, then re-compile the kernel as supplied. Why, for God's sake? We always use the bog-standard kernels in Puppy.....and we don't get any of this aggravation. At all.

What, does Canonical know better than the Linux kernel maintainers? Huh??

I'm convinced more than ever that Shuttleworth thinks he's playing at being God..!!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 February 2018 - 10:57 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 dem_crumblies

dem_crumblies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

I'd comment, but once I saw words like de-compile and faff, I knew it was outside my realm of understanding  :huh:

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Hi, dem_crumblies.

Oh, 'faff about' is simply Brit slang for 'messing around'!

And de-compiling in this context just means they pull the kernel to bits, alter things that they think will improve the 'user experience' (which frequently has completely the opposite effect), then they put it all back together.

Mark Shuttleworth, head of Canonical, fancies himself as the Bill Gates of the Linux world, and seems determined to make Ubuntu the dominant Linux distro. Well, he can try.....and it's true that most software is put together specifically for Ubuntu.

Didn't make me want to stay with it though; 3 years ago, I gave Ubuntu the push.....and I haven't looked back since.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 dem_crumblies

dem_crumblies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

Hey Mike, thanks for the explanation.

I remember always hearing about Ubuntu in the past which is why I tried that software first when trying to make a Live USB.

Out of curiousity, is Puppy Linux what you use right now?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

That's like asking if water is wet.  :)

#10 dem_crumblies

dem_crumblies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

And yet...  :wink:

dehydrated-water-50435.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Now that's funny! 

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

That's like asking if water is wet.  :)

Ha!!!  :hysterical:

Cheers for that, John. Made my day, that did...!  :lol:  :lol:

--------------------------------

@dem_crumblies:-

What John's trying to say is, yes; that's all I use. All I have used for the last 3 years or so, in fact. Have a look around the Linux & Unix section, and you'll find.my long-running 'Puppy' Corner thread. Anything and everything of any interest to do with Puppy.....yup!!

(I'll sing Pup's praises everywhere I go. A lot of long-term Linux users think of Puppy (when they think of it at all) as a 'toy' distro; not really worth bothering with. How wrong they are. Pup's as capable of doing exactly what the 'big boys' can do.....it's just a wee bit more 'hands-on', that's all. You definitely learn your way around the Linux file-system when you run Puppy!)

It's small; it's lightweight; it's extremely fast, because it loads entirely into RAM (in a 'virtual' RAM-disk, in fact).....and RAM is by far the fastest part of any computer. And it'll make any elderly machine seem brand-new again.

Any queries you might have about it, feel free to post in 'Puppy' Corner; everybody's welcome! I produce a number of packages myself, and I post about packages others have done (with links).....and I try & explain some of the mysteries & misconceptions surrounding Pup. It's a smorgasbord of canine delights and treats (couldn't resist that; sorry!)

In short, my 'distro-hopping' days were over quite some time ago; I found 'the one' for me.

And now back down to reality again. Sorry for de-railing your thread.....  :blush:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 February 2018 - 01:54 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

See Mike Even If it ain't about Linux I'm still learning new things on the Linux forums.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

See Mike Even If it ain't about Linux I'm still learning new things on the Linux forums.

Oh, it's quite educational, this place. Especially since you often end up learning about things that you didn't even know you wanted to know..!  :lmao:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 February 2018 - 04:53 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

they can't possibly use the standard kernel from kernel.org, they have to de-compile, faff about and modify, then re-compile the kernel as supplied. Why, for God's sake?

Because this is the Linux way of doing things, who wants a bog standard linux anyway?  LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users