Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on upgrading my PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostwalker77

Ghostwalker77

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

So i bought this PC about two years ago on a limited budget. It has worked great but obviously i do need a better GPU as i only have a 750ti in it. I can play games but FPS isn't steady and sometimes i do get big drops which makes game play unplayable for a couple of seconds or so. The MB is needed as two slots in it gave out. One day they were working and the next day they weren't. The MB still works and all, but i been told my RAM isn't getting full use cause of how i have had to place them. So i need a new MB and a new GPU. 

Also looking to buy a new monitor. Something in the 25 inches or so.

Here is the speccy link for my system, any advice welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/rTm3MHB7zbNu6AT5BIv8XI4

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2018 - 08:48 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Bldg/upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

That "The MB still works and all, but i been told my RAM isn't getting full use cause of how i have had to place them." probably means you are only running single channel memory mode but that's not so big issue I would change motherboard.

Also video card prices are ultra high right now so only wise option is to wait until prices calm down.

#3 Ghostwalker77

Ghostwalker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

That "The MB still works and all, but i been told my RAM isn't getting full use cause of how i have had to place them." probably means you are only running single channel memory mode but that's not so big issue I would change motherboard.

Also video card prices are ultra high right now so only wise option is to wait until prices calm down.

Yeah i been told it is running on single channel mode. The weird thing is that one of the slots that burned out wasn't even in use when it did.

The advice about the GPU seems to be the same anywhere i ask. Seems something about mining made the prices skyrocket. I heard 2K series coming out in April, is that right?

#4 Ghostwalker77

Ghostwalker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

Sorry that i forgot to mention the power supply, thought that would be in the speccy. I have a CX600M from Corsair.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

Single channel makes no major difference luckily.

2K series may be coming soon but won't make prices go down quickly.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Running in dual channel increases the throughput speed making it almost twice as fast.  This is the advantage of running the RAM in dual channel.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

It the Speccy is showing the two RAM modules but the modules are not being recognized as being run in dual channel this could be because the way the RAM modules were populated.

The following describes how the RAM should be populated for dual channel.  This was taken from the User Manual.

Dual Channel Memory Configuration

This motherboard provides four DDR3 memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology.  

After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of  the memory. Enabling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth.

The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following:

Channel A: DDR3_2, DDR3_4

Channel B: DDR3_1, DDR3_3

These slots are labeled as indicated above, use either of the channels, but you can't mix the two channels and have the RAM run in dual channel.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Running in dual channel increases the throughput speed making it almost twice as fast.  This is the advantage of running the RAM in dual channel.

Agreed but advantage on real world scenarios is more like 20% or so as memory latency usually matters much more than throughput. That's why I'm running single channel on my own rig. More important reason is of course ridiculous memory prices :angry:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

@Drillingmachine

If you believe the price of RAM is high now you need to think back to 2004 when a 64 MB DIMM PC-100 module listed at $53.99. :blink:

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, I remember that time. Just considering how much I paid for current memory back in early 2017 (and that was when prices had already got bit up), current prices are very high.

But as always, prices will come down some day.

Congratulations for 30000 th post btw :cool:

#11 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

2K is indeed coming so definitely wait and buy into that. As far as absurd GPU prices, sellers are working to correct it by limiting the number of cards people can purchase. Also, there are things called ASIC (application specific integrated circuit) miners which are designed specifically for mining and nothing else. They are starting to appear in greater numbers and they outperform GPU's. As miners shift to using ASIC's, GPU prices will go down.

That being said, expect Nvidia's latest and greatest cards to be expensive. I heard a potential 700 dollar MSRP for the 2080 though I REALLY hope that's not the case. AMD's continued failure to compete with Nvidia is to blame and unless they have a Ryzen-esque victory in the GPU department, I don't see that changing. 

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

That being said, expect Nvidia's latest and greatest cards to be expensive. I heard a potential 700 dollar MSRP for the 2080 though I REALLY hope that's not the case. AMD's continued failure to compete with Nvidia is to blame and unless they have a Ryzen-esque victory in the GPU department, I don't see that changing. 

It's not AMD's problem but GlobalFoudries' one. Main problem with AMD is manufacturing tech and AMD will use TSMC 7nm tech when it comes available. Then AMD has same manufacturing tech that Nvidia has and considering AMD is ahead Nvidia on most demanding gaming titles already, it looks pretty good.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

@Drillingmachine

Off topic :whistle:

Thank you for the congrats.  It took me a day to realize that I had actually passed the 30k posts mark. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users