Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed - Outlook Keeps Crashing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mick10

Mick10

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:14 PM

Greetings;

Every time Outlook opens, it opens on a recent email and tries to read it. All I did was forward an email from my MacBook to my p.c.  so I dont think there's a virus. There is something wrong with this email, Outlook tries to open it but can't and before I can delete it, the program crashes. I tried opening the program in Safe Mode, but it still crashes before I can delete it. Is there another way to delete the problem email so I can stop this repeating loop? I am using Panda security software.

Thanks in advance for all help offered,

Edited by Orange Blossom, 16 February 2018 - 12:13 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Try opening Outlook in safe mode and see if that works: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026478/outlook-open-outlook-in-safe-mode

#3 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

Try opening Outlook in safe mode and see if that works: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026478/outlook-open-outlook-in-safe-mode

see above - that didnt work

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Ahhh - sorry. Missed that. You can try repairing Outlook. Go to programs & features and click on CHANGE for your Outlook (or Office) installation, then repair.

#5 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

ok thanks Allan,  I will try that

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

If I recall correctly something similar happened to me once. It took a number of tries, but what I did was try to highlight and delete the message as soon as Outlook opened. As I said, it was a process but eventually it worked.

#7 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

yeah I tried that too, but it hangs up then crashes

Is there a mode where I can go into the program without Outlook trying to open the message? I do not have the preview window running just for this reason, but the program is trying to do something with the highlighted email

#8 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Ahhh - sorry. Missed that. You can try repairing Outlook. Go to programs & features and click on CHANGE for your Outlook (or Office) installation, then repair.

ok I tried this; it just says the configuration was not completed successfully. I have found that most of these MS tools dont work...

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

If you are willing to potentially lose the data / emails currently in Outlook or if you have your account(s) set to retain emails on the server for a period of time, you can move the current .pst file to a backup location and create a new one. You will have to recreate your email accounts.

#10 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

i was afraid of that. Where do i find the pst file so I can copy it, or will that not work?

#11 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

I should specify this is Office 2007; and I tried the Windows Safe Mode.

if i went into Outlook Safe Mode would that be a solution? 

#12 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

my apologies, I thought you meant Windows Safe Mode; I thought that was the only safe mode, I did not try this. If I choose to "accept the default setting of Outlook" what will happen, will it erase all my stored files and folders, contacts etc in Outlook? TYIA

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Safe mode doesn't delete anything - it simply starts without any add-ins.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

And the .pst file is generally in the Office installation folder - you you can do a quick search of your system (unless you changed it, I believe the default name is outlook.pst)

#15 Mick10

Mick10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

Many thanks Allan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users