Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice before Format C

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

My PC is hacked beyond hope. They follow everything I do with messages they put on the CustomDestinations and AutomaticDestinations folders, and send it off to the hacker. I can't get rid of it, nor can I keep deleting the messages so constantly. So I'm going to format and reinstall the OS.

First, warn people about this method of hacking. I only noticed it because I have no mobile stuff, and the folders should be always empty. Lots of other people may be able to find out if they are hacked if you can advise them about what this hack does. I don't know how to get rid of it, but I have learned to cope with it somewhat.

I've been told to use Kaspersky to disinfect my PC, but since I think my hacker has removed drivers, I'm not sure how much good that will do. Can this hack move, along with my files and videos, onto the USB?

Question: How can I save bookmarks and passwords in both Firefox and Chrome? Are they files I can upload to my Yahoo account? How do I find them?

Please advise me how to use a new USB Mass Storage device to save my video and .txt files. I've found a site that makes it seem very complex - and these devices seem to use DOS and FAT file formats. I'm stuck right now in safe mode, so I can't watch instructional videos

I'm worried about the USB thing. First, will I be able to move files, IN SAFE MODE to the device? Will I be able to add things to the USB and remove things - are they rewritable?

In safe mode I doubt i'd be able to burn files on CDs, but if it can be done, I'd like to know how. I have no program to burn files onto CDs. With CDs I'd know better what I'm doing.

After I save the things i want to the USB Drive, I intend to format C and reinstall the entire OS from scratch.  Can someone  tell me, in "Tab A into Slot B" simple directions, how to use the USB device?

Thanks,

PS Don't forget to spread the info around about those two folders being used  to send messages to the hacker. Might it be possible to trace the messages back to the hackers? I have a big file with a bunch of those messages that I've saved, specifically for law enforcement.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

It is possible that things you take off to save may also be infected! 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Are you still, as according to your profile, running Win 98 ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

No, I've been using W7 for several years. Wish I COULD go back to W98SE. It was much more stable, and most of what W7 did was to add a bunch of bells and whistles that I did not need, and take away user options. am aware that files I copy to the USB device might have infections. I'm carefully checking to see if I can find any malware first. I've heard Kaspersky makes a good cleaner, that I'd put on the USB, then reboot so the USB launches before entering Windows. I may transfer some infections, but I feel sure the hack on my machine isn't simply attached to a single file. It's obviously very sophisticated. It's all through my PC. Before formatting, I want to copy my bookmarks and password lists from Firefox and Chrome. Do you know how to do that?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Here Ya go!

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816?hl=en

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:24 PM

I wouldn't use Windows to copy over you bookmarks for firefox and chrome as the infected computer could very well infect your USB. I would create a bootable CD or Kaspersky Rescue Disk. The disk has a file manager where you would be able to copy the bookmarks to a USB flash drive outside of Windows.  

https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

Thanks John!

#8 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:00 PM

Old Phil: Knowing your politics means I can't trust your advice about my hack problem. Bleeping Computer isn't supposed to be a political forum. I guess it can't be trusted any more. My, how PROFOUND! Sorta like "Love means never having to say you're sorry." It's the kind of absolutism that people like you love to fall for. So tell me which version of Old Glory I should be forced to stand for? The flag of democracy, or the flag of the new fascism? Send out the "flag police"? All my life, I've leaped to my feet for the real flag.

#9 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

Chris Cosgrove, and JohnC_21, thank you for your help. I think you should know that because Old Phil has proclaimed his right-wing advocacy, I can't trust bleepingcomputer.com any more, at least until Old Phil is gone. This isn't supposed to be a political site. I've been seriously hacked. How am I to be sure it didn't come to my PC through an expert such as him? Thanks, though for your help. It's made a difference.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

Ignorance is true bless, I would bet you would burn your draft card if faced with any turmoil!  I am neither right or left but I do love my country even though many like you are doing your very best to drag it down!

God Bless You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:17 AM

Ladies and gentlemen -

Old Phil: Knowing your politics means I can't trust your advice about my hack problem

Many members on BC make political and other trite personal statements either in their signature space or in their avatars. My own avatar for example would indicate, quite correctly, that I am a Linux using nationalist and nobody has suggested that either of these facts render my advice unsuitable or inappropriate.

This is the first time that I have seen a suggestion on BC that someone's political views also colour their technical advice. Hard drives do not care where their users or repairers are on the political spectrum, it is totally irrelevant.

I would like this to be the last time I see such suggestions.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

Well said Chris.

Its nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users