Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help;with my DVD Drives in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

I have a custom built Windows 10 machine that has worked well for me since Windows 10 first came out.

I have a LG Drive with Light Scribe and a HP DVD Drive with Light Scribe. Both have worked perfectly.

Yesterday There was a loud Thunderstorm in town.  I don't know if that is what is causing my problem but i do not have either driving working.

I went into BIOS and both are recognized. If I go into Device Manager I have had one drive recognized but the other not recognized.

I have restarted the machine and now neither drive is recognized in the Device Manager.  When I go into Windows Explorer, at the beginning of the day I had one drive recognized in Windows Explorer.

I have gone back into Windows Device Manager and  both drivers were recognized but only one would show in Windows Explorer.

When they both were showing in device manager I tried to do a driver update and it said there were no better drivers than the ones installed.

I don't understand why they are not being recognized.  Please give me some insight into what I need to do to get these two DVD drive functioning again.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:32 AM

If it were my machine I would right-click uninstall both cd/dvd drives in Device Manager and then reboot. Windows should reinstall them after a restart.

If that didn't work I would then do the upper and lower filters fix listed under Method 5 here (follow instructions to the letter)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

[quote]If it were my machine I would right-click uninstall both cd/dvd drives in Device Manager and then reboot. Windows should reinstall them after a restart.[/b]

Unfortunately only one of the drives is visible in the Device Manager, if it isn't seen there you are not going to be able to uninstall it.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.

Attached File  device manager list.PNG   215.27KB   0 downloads

When the menu opens select Device Manager to open it.

Right click/tap on the top option in the device tree, this is outlined in red in the image below.

Click/tap on Scan for hardware changes, this will search for new plug and play devices and force them to open.

Deleting the upper and lower filters is an option that I keep for a last option since it involves editing the registry which if mistakes are made can render the computer inoperable.

Edited by dc3, 16 February 2018 - 09:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:42 PM

The registry is MY go to place for getting things done!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Was there a point you were trying to make?

I would like to remind you that we have advanced members who are quite comfortable navigating through the registry and editing the registry.  But we have a greater number of members who have never attempted doing anything in the registry with good reason.  You need to be able to gauge their level of competence and aim your instructions at that level, otherwise your instructions could be too advanced for them to understand and could actually lead to making errors in editing the registry, and we all know what that potential can lead to.  This is why in this topic I felt that the option to delete the upper and lower filters should be done if all else has failed.  How would you feel if your instructions lead a member to make a poor choice and rendered their computer inoperable?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

Was there a point you were trying to make?

I would like to remind you that we have advanced members who are quite comfortable navigating through the registry and editing the registry.  But we have a greater number of members who have never attempted doing anything in the registry with good reason.  You need to be able to gauge their level of competence and aim your instructions at that level, otherwise your instructions could be too advanced for them to understand and could actually lead to making errors in editing the registry, and we all know what that potential can lead to.  This is why in this topic I felt that the option to delete the upper and lower filters should be done if all else has failed.  How would you feel if your instructions lead a member to make a poor choice and rendered their computer inoperable?

Telling everyone that a bad edit in the registry will make their OS inoperable is a gross exaggeration.  People need to start learning, and actually editing the registry is a pretty simple process.  I prefer  not to use scare tactics with such a useful tool.  A good, comprehensive set of instructions would make everyone's life so much simpler rather than stating that editing the registry is dangerous, which in all reality, is not.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

@dhagerjohns

If you reread what I posted you will realize that I did not state that a bad edit in the registry will make their OS inoperable.  I stated the this "could actually lead to making errors in editing the registry, and we all  know what that potential can be".  I didn't state that this will make the computer inoperable.  This is a very real potential, and most certainly isn't "scare tactics".  But the fact does still remain that if you screw up the registry this could render a computer inoperable.

This is going off topic and I for one have said all that I intend to say and will move on.

Edited by dc3, 21 February 2018 - 12:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users