Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports Are Not Working Properly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oozdem

oozdem

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

I had a similar  question but the definition was wrong and i still couldn't find a solution. Actually I am not sure whether this is a hardware or software problem. Here is my problem:

I am using a dual boot system.Windows 8.1 and ubuntu. When i was working on windows suddenly my all usb ports stopped working. Then i switched to the ubuntu. It was working well but if I unplug a device and and plug it to any other port, it kills all the ports. I have three ports including one usb 3 and two usb 2 ports.Let the name of the ports be A,B,C .For example, I plug my mouse to the port A then i unplug it.If I plug it to port B or C. It kills all the ports. But putting it back to port A is no problem. Same situation is valid for B and C too. I use acer v3-571g. No ports are working on windows. I tried almost everything over the Internet. Since the ports working well when I do no not unplug them, can I be sure that this problem is about software? If so why I face with similar problems in ubuntu and windows? Does windows and ubuntu uses any common power management system or something like that?

Edited by britechguy, 17 February 2018 - 10:06 AM.
Moved from Win8 to Linux forum. Appears to be Ubuntu related.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

What is the device you are plugging in the USB port which is killing these ports?

Please post any error message you are receiving because of this.

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any errors or warnings being displayed?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 oozdem

oozdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

Thank you very much for your reply.I have acer v3-571g laptop. I am plugging logitech m185 wireless mouse and scandisk cruzer blade flash disk. Both devices working with no problems on other computers. I get no error messages on windows.  This is my device manager. The only thing i am not sure about is the places of the shown drivers here:

https://scontent.fada1-7.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/28207649_181795235768670_503042517_o.png?oh=aee9b321f23917c1c15193bd68917318&oe=5A89B514

A little translation:

The shown drivers are below system devices tab and named as yonga set family universal serial data way usb supervisory.

Yonga set family PCI Express root connection point 1 and below 2.

Other than this confusion for me, i get no error.

The only error I get is when I plug a device on my usb 3 port and start on ubuntu. I get an error like this:

https://scontent.fada1-7.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/28055652_181692165778977_8347980470331990364_n.jpg?oh=7a6d6547debe0b3c2f394df6289f00a7&oe=5A88C23B

Overall. Let me conclude it, no ports are working on windows and no errors. Plugging a device on the usb3 port and starting on ubuntu gives the error above. Plugging to one of the two usb 2 ports is working with no problem on ubuntu. If I unplug the device and plug it to the same port still no errors but if I plug it to any other port, kills the all ports.

Lastly here is my speccy log:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vOb1VthhRaLVSrqpmBRM6aU

Edited by oozdem, 16 February 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

Your problem is partially with Ubuntu and your USB3 ports.  I'm going to suggest that this topic be moved to the Linux & Unix forum where there are members who are better prepared to help you with this problem.

One thing I did notice in the Speccy is your CPU temperature is at 68C.  This isn't hot enough to cause throttling of the CPU, but is an indicator that you should blow out the insides with a commercial Duster via the intake and exhaust vents of this notebook.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 oozdem

oozdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

Your problem is partially with Ubuntu and your USB3 ports.  I'm going to suggest that this topic be moved to the Linux & Unix forum where there are members who are better prepared to help you with this problem.

One thing I did notice in the Speccy is your CPU temperature is at 68C.  This isn't hot enough to cause throttling of the CPU, but is an indicator that you should blow out the insides with a commercial Duster via the intake and exhaust vents of this notebook.

So is there a chance that cleaning my fan and replacing thermal liquids can fix my problem? or is this just unrelated problem? Thank you for your replies.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

Just use some "canned air" to blow out the dust via the vents.  There is no need to open the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users