Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won`t boot with nvidia drivers, just the generic one

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 razoras

razoras

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

Got a random bsod during gameplay (video memory scheduler error I think) and afterwards my pc wouldn't get to the desktop. It gets as far as the blue Windows window but then reboots. I can however boot into safe mode so I know my gpu isn't totally dead, and my display is working fine too.If I uninstall the gpu driver in safe mode with DDU I can boot into normal windows, but when I install a display driver again the install fails halfway through(usb unplug sound and the gpu stops working), I get a black screen as if no signal from gpu, then after reboot the same thing happens everytime i boot the windows, before i DDU the nvidia drivers and start with the generic ones. I've had the driver installed for a few weeks before so it's not a faulty driver.Computer also doesn't seem to know what type my monitor is, I point it to the monitor driver but it says the best driver (Generic non-PnP) is already installed.SFC gives no errors, chkdsk seems to get stucfk at 11 procent. Windows Startup repair, as usual, does nothing. Could it be some component of my GPU that's failed, and the driver can't access it, like a video memory component or something?And why does it boot fine in safe mode and install the driver in safe mode. This makes me think it might be a software problem.. I've unplugged all unnecessary peripherals and double checked all my bios settings too..Windows version is the latest, thought it was the creators update that was causing the issues, but i tried all sorts of windows versions, issue persists during the installion of the driver and after the driver halfway installs, gpu chrashes, have to do a DDU and then start the pc with generic drivers again and repeat.

Things i tried so far are:
-Clean Windows 10 copy, Clean windows 7 copy with all sorts of driver versions, 384, 362 etc.
-Tried installing the driver with unplugged monitor because i read somewhere that there were some issues with monitors.
-Downgrading Intel management interface.
-Upgraded bios to the latest.
-Tried installing the driver through device manager manually.
Also worth a note that at one point for one day i was able to install all sorts of drivers with no problems, but the games kept crashing a few seconds into the game and error used to pop up "Access to the device was resticted" and so on, the windows did not stop responding, but the game did and after awhile the same bsod happened and i could never duplicate this period of success. This period happened when i upgraded from windows 10 fall version to the current newest, which is 1709.
-did a disk check
-did a memory check

speecy link : http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gnQVgAl3UFy4cYq1Ux0u0yZ

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. Also deleted a duplicate post in another forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver and press Enter.

What was the last Windows update you installed.  You can find this under Programs and Features in the Control Panel.  In the upper left portion of the page click on View installed updates.  The updates are presented in the order they were installed, the last update installed would be at the top of the list.

There have been problems with updates causing problem of this nature, these have resolved themselves in most cases.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 razoras

razoras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

I am aware of the nvidia problems with fall creators pack, but i have tried windows 7 as well, the issue doesn`t seem to be revolved around the version of windows.

Current Windows version is 1709. This is a clean install. Have tried a clean 1537 installation as well.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 razoras

razoras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

The test passed successfully, i made a post on nvidia regarding this, most of them point out that GPU is probably dead, all the success with all the test seem to say that as well.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

Seeing your dump files might help. Please upload them using these instructions. If you have to use a 3rd party site, please make it one that doesn't require me to create an account to view.

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

#7 razoras

razoras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hello, Henry,

Sure, i hope this helps, thanks for looking into it :)

I think i attached the dump files  Attached File  Dumps.zip   357.47KB   2 downloads

Edited by razoras, 16 February 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

The dump files all point to outdated video drivers. You need to go to the ASUS website and download all available updates.

#9 razoras

razoras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:28 AM

If only this was that easy, no, have tried all sorts of versions of updates, same thing occurs.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

Another option would be to purchase and run a dedicated graphics card.  The card should come with a CD with the needed drivers which cuts down the chances of errors in choosing drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users