Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SUPERAntiSpyware Questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

I recently installed SUPERAntiSpyware (free version) on a Windows 7 PC.  If possible, could you please answer these questions:

1) As part of the install, I notice this option (selected by default):

When setup finishes, SUPERAntiSpyware will use your Internet connection to:

[X] Submit a system diagnostic to help identify potentially harmful software

1a) Would you recommend submitting a system diagnostic?

1b) As the scanning is done locally, why does a system diagnostic need to be submitted?

1c) What data is included in the system diagnostic?

1d) If I don't submit a system diagnostic in the install can I submit one later at another point in the app?

1e) If I install a new version of the app will this question be asked again?

2) What is the difference between Core and Trace items in the Definition Database?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

You can read about the SUPERAntiSpyware Diagnostic Report in these discussion topics.Trace malware is a detection which typically indicates harmless pieces of leftovers also known as remnants (registry keys, file fragments, folders) generally found after cleaning a previous malware infection. Traces are typically useless and not dangerous since the primary malicious file(s) has been removed. A Malware.Trace detection is just another name used by Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware and other security vendors for trace malware.Core Definitions are typically related to detecting actual malicious files, PUPs, adware, etc.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for clarifying.  In addition, here are the corresponding answers to my system diagnostic questions that I received from SUPERAntiSpyware support:

1a) You do not need to submit a system diagnostic if you do not want to, but I recommend doing it because:
1b) We use the diagnostics to locate new malware we do not currently detect with a system scan.
1c) Running system process’s on your PC that could be malware.
1d) You can always contact us directly at any time for one opening a ticket at www.superantispyware.com/csr/.
1e) If you reinstall the software, you will be asked the question again as it is a part of the installation wizard.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

You're welcome.

#5 Rocket-man

Rocket-man

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:18 PM

Hello,

I use to be a member of the forum, but my username must have been removed. So I resigned-up today. My wife and I had a old Dell Windows 7 Vista. The people on the

BLEEPING COMPUTER, COM helped keep it running for another 2 yrs. Which we appreciated greatly. We have since purchased a Inspiron 17 5000 Series, Windows 10. We had a contract, but it's about to expire. I signed up to Malwarebytes for Security but it's only for a trial period. I wanted to know if SuperAntispyware has any free trial periods? And how do I log in?

Rocket-man

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro offers a 15-day fully functional free trial with real-time protection...see here to the left of the download buttons.

Between the two, I would recommend Malwarebytes since SUPERAntiSpyware is not as effective as it used to be.

#7 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro offers a 15-day fully functional free trial with real-time protection...see here to the left of the download buttons.

Between the two, I would recommend Malwarebytes since SUPERAntiSpyware is not as effective as it used to be.

How does MalwareBytes compare to an anti virus program like Kaspersky, AVG, Avira etc? Would it be enough to just have malwarebytes installed?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus...see here. Malwarebytes has limitations and lacks many constructs that a traditional anti-virus applications employ...it is not a historical anti malware solution...meaning it does not detect legacy malware, it does not target scripted malware, document files, media files and it is incapable of of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches). The Anti-Exploit module is primarily for protection against software exploitation... it does not protect against social engineering, the human exploit often resulting from fraud, spam and phishing emails.

This is a more detailed explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst. Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.x Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.

#9 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:50 PM