Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu will spy on you?! Not really

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

Whether a user chooses to OPT IN or OPT OUT your data is being collected.

I believe what Canonical or Microsoft tell me. OH Hell No ! :nono:

And if you think that these companies are going to risk what would be put at risk by doing illegal data collection of personal data then you are naive.

There's a reason they have massive legal departments and make huge efforts to comply with the laws in the venues where they do business.

In addition, do you really think they would not be caught out in the IT community?  The paranoid wing is always trying to find evidence of what they consider nefarious.  If that "what they consider nefarious" is considered the same under the law there is no company in the world that wants that kind of exposure.  We have recent examples (not data collection related) of two European auto makers who've found out just how foolish it is to try violating the law via software selectively disabling emissions controls.

I know these corporations have massive legal departments to cover themselves to collect data regardless of my decision to "Opt In / Opt Out" and by whatever means needed to do so.

The "Opt In / Opt Out" is only a pacifier for those who need to have one.

I don't like it and I don't agree with it.

Big corporations know how to cover themselves.

Unknown data collection has been happening for ages.

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 June 2018 - 11:19 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

I never made a blanket statement regarding all types of information that could be collected

And I never said that companies could not collect data, only that the collector had to seek the permission of the computer owner before doing so.

Now that permission may be given as a condition of installation, or where it is not such a condition, it may be asked for at a later date, but nonetheless it is required.

Since permission for the collection of telemetry data by Ubuntu is being asked for now, then clearly it was not a condition of installation, and therefore Canonical at least seem to think that the data they want to collect is the property of their Users, and they need to seek permission to collect it.

Now my point, and it's been my only point all along really, is that IMO when such permission is required, it should be opt-in rather than opt-out.

You don't agree, and you are entitled to your opinion, but I'm never going to see things your way either, so at this point to prevent further pointless argument I intend to withdraw from this discussion.

#33 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Well, here it is. Ubuntu's opt out screen. Compare that to Windows 10 privacy settings. From what I can gather if you opt out nothing is sent to Canonical similar to the option given to enterprises running Windows 10. In case of a crash Apport may request telemetry be sent but that is also optional and is disabled by default.

opt-out-of-data-collection-ubuntu-18.jpe

And if you do miss the Opt-out and go with Opt-in there is only one setting to change.

privacy-ubuntu-18-04-800x417.png

#34 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

Post #31: We should note here that while wndows 10 might or might not (we can't be certain because no-one outside micrsoft has ever read the contents of it) be sending back private details in its telemetry ubuntu definitely won't dare to go against consent of the users. remember that being open source anyone can look at it's code, and plenty of people with the necessary skills to understand what it is doing do read through the source code. While proprietary software may sometimes try to hide something nasty away open source software couldn't dare, it would be seen and then when it hit the news that would be a massive scandal. And even if it didn't hit the larger news services (BBC, the times, new york times...) it would still crop up in all the detailed tech ones, the ones read by the sort of people who use ubuntu. In open source software there would be far too much risk, due to the certain event of eventual discovery, in trying to hide any behind-the-users-back telemetry which violates their consent.

I have no trust in corporations either, but when the software is open source no corporation would dare to do something so scandalous.

Edited by rp88, 16 June 2018 - 06:33 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#35 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

Ubuntu Reveals Desktop Telemetry for the First Time

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/linux/ubuntu-reveals-desktop-telemetry-for-the-first-time/

Average Ubuntu install takes 18 minutes: Take that Windows 10 Update

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-data-collection-stats/

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#36 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing Nick, and the fastest was 8 min. 

#37 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:52 AM

I was thinking the same thing Nick, and the fastest was 8 min. 

Ah, dearie me.....

Average Puppy install time, for a 'frugal', is around the 3min30 to 4min mark. And we don't have telemetry....yay! (I'm simply quoting figures here from the vast stockpile of past & present Puppian's posted experiences).

(Admittedly, you do look to prepare your install media manually beforehand; add perhaps another 5 min. But it's still fast.....)

You can be up-and-running, and enjoying your Pup in under 12 minutes. What's not to like? And for those of us 'old hands' who use the quick'n'dirty manual install method, you can probably pare another couple of minutes off that...

In any case, I think telemetry of the sort mentioned here would, (apart from actual hardware info), be largely pointless in Pup's case.....since there are so many variations on the methods used for installing Puppy, such collection of data would have no real consistency anyway.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 24 June 2018 - 07:06 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#38 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

Hmm, I just installed Windows 10 in exactly 10 minutes.  Then did some work while it was updating, and updated pretty well, got all the drivers needed and all works well now.  

Should have mentioned this was on a Sandisk Ultra SSD.

Spoiler

Edited by pcpunk, 24 June 2018 - 08:48 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#39 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

That's pretty fast. How long does it takes for a semi-annual upgrade update. Have you every timed one of those pcpunk?

#40 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

No John, don't keep good track of that, and have not done all that many either.  I think it all depends on many factors, including which Update it was.  They are supposed to be getting faster...but who knows.  I think I've seen 1.5 to 3.5 hrs.

Should have mentioned this was with a Sandisk Ultra SSD, a decent CPU, and from a USB 2.0 Port.  I'm sure the SSD made a big difference as I just did one the other day that took about a half hour.

Edited by pcpunk, 24 June 2018 - 08:57 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users